6 replies to this topic

#1 diver dave1

diver dave1

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 918 posts
  • Interests:chess, u/w photography

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:35 AM

Finally got a chance to put a few photos up from the recent trip to Florida. I only did one dive at Blue Heron Bridge. It was wonderful to see Laz again and do this interesting dive. National Geo will not be calling but I had fun taking the photo's.

Where else can you find batfish, seahorse, mimic octo, sea robin, dragonet, several crabs, puffers, burrfish, jawfish, mantis shrimp all in a distance of 50 by 100 m or less in about an hour?

http://www.shiningse...04620&k=bFncfjs

All but the Mantis and dragonet are uncropped. Not willing to get too near the mantis and the male dragonet was chasing a female. Was fun to watch but he would not stay still for long enough to get close. He was also playing a fun game with me, raising his display while moving, waiting until I am almost ready to shoot a photo then lowering it.
And the burrfish absolutely refused to let me get a head on shot.

I do not find Mimic Octo listed in my Humann-Deloach books for caribbean. They are common at BHB, are they rare elsewhere in the carib?

dave

Edited by diver dave1, 22 October 2012 - 03:35 AM.

Nauticam D7000, Inon Z-240's, 60 micro, 105 micro, Tokina 10-17

www.shiningseastudio.com

#2 newmanl

newmanl

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:44 AM

Hi Dave,

Great shots - I often hear comments to the contrary, but I find the Caribbean interesting enough to hold my photographic attention for weeks at a time! As to the distribution of mimic octos, I'm not sure the one(s) in your photos are necessarily trying to minic something (although, they could be), or simply trying to get a look at their surroundings while offering the least amount of themselves to would-be predators. We saw the same behavoiur in Bonaire on a trip in '09.

Again, great photos!

Lee

#3 johnspierce

johnspierce

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:03 AM

Quite a gallery of rogues for just one dive :D What time of day did you do this?

thanks for sharing the photos!
John

Nikon D800 | Aquatica Housing | Inon Z-240

#4 diver dave1

diver dave1

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 918 posts
  • Interests:chess, u/w photography

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:29 PM

Thanks for the kind comments. They mean a lot coming from the WP cast of reviewers.

John,
It was a bit before high tide, entering the water around 13:30.
Lee,
My only knowledge of it being a mimic is simple - my dive guide told me it was. I figure Laz knows more about what is there than most anyone else I can find. Your comments regarding its action are quite accurate, it was taking a peek around while hiding out.

I missed a photo of the spotted eagle ray that went by. Too quick for an old 105mm so I just enjoyed watching rather waste it with a worthless photo attempt.

Nauticam D7000, Inon Z-240's, 60 micro, 105 micro, Tokina 10-17

www.shiningseastudio.com

#5 KirkD

KirkD

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:28 PM

I'm heading to the Blue Herron Bridge for a macro course through Reef Photo. I cant wait. I really enjoyed your pictures

#6 AllisonFinch

AllisonFinch

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Interests:Caves, photos and long distance travel to dive.

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:48 PM

Definitely not a mimic octo. That is a common octo doing what I call "periscoping". It is reaching up to get a look at you.

Really nice group of photos!

Edited by AllisonFinch, 23 October 2012 - 04:50 PM.

#7 drako

drako

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 02:52 PM

Looks like a Caribbean long arm octopus to me.
BHB is a great site