5 replies to this topic

#1 evenalie

evenalie

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:33 PM

Hello everyone.
Im new to this forum and came over here due to the fact that its photography specific and hopefully hold more answers than Ive been able to get/find..

Ive been looking around a bit for a new camera setup as Im starting to get bored with my trusty old Canon G7 (CHDK modified).
Id like to get a decent dslr and Id preferr to stay with canon. I also dont want to get the cheapest housing there is, which means out of the current lineup the options are the 600D, 650D and 60D. The 7D/5D/1D is a bit out of the consideration due to cost - I want to afford USING my new camera after getting it too Posted Image

Now this is going to cost me a fair bit of money, so what Ive been thinking is getting the body, housing and one lens with matching port first of all.
I like shooting macro, but I would also preferr to be able to shoot "normal-angle", which has made me think in terms of something like the sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 or canon 17-40mm (should be equivalent to 38-110 and 27-64 on full frame?)

Having looked at the ikelite port charts Im a bit stumped as theres a lot of lenses that would seem to be good which is "too large to operate in port system" and especially this applies to lenses with high aperture, which seem to me is the kinda lenses youd want to use under water.
Looking at sea and sea, they dont seem to have any housing for any current canons but the 600D?
Infact their entire lineup on the website seem to be 6 housings?

Now if I did get a 600D instead of a 60D how big a difference would it make and would the sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 be housable with it in a sea and sea?
Is the 60D with a 24-70/17-40 or something along those lines a viable option?

I should probably mention that while I currently use a G7 under water, Im not entirely new to SLR cameras, however the last one I owned was a good old fashioned (canon) film one..

Also, for some idea of the kinda pictures I take and why Im looking into a normal to macro lens rather than an extreme to moderate wide angle, I have some pictures here http://www.flickr.co...s/89057162@N03/

Edited by evenalie, 22 October 2012 - 11:42 PM.

#2 diver dave1

diver dave1

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts
  • Interests:chess, u/w photography

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:48 AM

One of the things I learned when switching from a G9 to DSLR was the range difference. With the G9, I could take a wider range of decent but not great shots on a single dive due to the zoom range. With the lens on the DSLR, I can take far better pictures but of less varied subjects with a specific lens on a single dive. As I try to move from the equivalent of vacationing snapshots to portraits and striking images this serves to force me to focus on my thinking and planning rather than finning along and snapping a pic of whatever passed by. Nothing wrong with either approach, just depends on what you are trying to do.

If you want a flat port, you might consider a 60mm macro lens. It will do many of the shots like you show but not so good for the Manta. Most Zoom's do not focus close enough to use a flat port and require a dome. Zoom's like you mention will likely need a diopter, a fairly large dome and likely an extension ring between the dome and housing. Otherwise your shots will have fuzzy corners and not meet the sharpness you desire.

You might consider a Tokina 10-17 with a 1.4 extender. All the shots from a trip to Cozumel were made with that setup. Here is a link.
http://www.shiningse...80931&k=TfBCwxt

A nice feature of that lens setup is the close focusing. When you are shooting the nudi's like the one's you shared, you can focus right to the dome and they let you get close. Getting closer would seem to be a useful theme for most of the pics you shared.

You might consider a used housing and camera to get closer to your desired budget. There are various Canon DSLR's and housings for sale on this site quite often. You would want a dome for the 10-17 setup and small ones ( 4" or 100mm) seem to work well. They are nice for traveling. You need an extension ring when using the 1.4x.

You did not mention strobes, which you will likely want to have for most shots regardless of lens selection.

Nauticam D7000, Inon Z-240's, 60 micro, 105 micro, Tokina 10-17

www.shiningseastudio.com

#3 evenalie

evenalie

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:29 AM

Lots of the pictures I shared is taken from (signigicantly) less than a foot - obviously with some exceptions, like the napoleon fish (which is old), the manta and the schools.
Some of them would have been closer, if the subjects wherent mean to me and swam off or retreated themselves.. Maybe I need a rebreather as well.
Now when it comes to budget, I never mentioned anything about that other than not wanting to go to the "Single-Ds" cause the price up there is getting pretty bad (and Im not a pro), but if I want a 60D with an ikelite or sea and sea housing and the kinda lenses Ive been looking at thats 3,5-4k USD easy and Im aware of it and prepared for it.
I have been looking into used lenses and bodies and there IS a lot to save there, but theres also lots of opportunities to be had if youre not careful.

I will be getting lights as well, but my primary concern is finding a body/lense/housing option that suits my need. If I dont have the body, I dont need the lens and the housing or whatever combination of that you like.

Edited by evenalie, 23 October 2012 - 07:35 AM.

#4 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1522 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:58 AM

I think if you are housing an APS sensor camera then the Canon 60 and the Tokina 10-17 would be my first choice as to lenses, and you will need a strobe. Given that you will be shooting with a strobe then having very wide apertures seems a bit pointless to me. I try to control DOF in many of my shots and usually end up at 5.6 or so, going to 1.4 or even 2.8 is beyond (for me) the range where I like the photos. Look in the classifieds and you will find a few systems that will get you going within your budget.
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#5 twinner

twinner

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:11 PM

I'm with Bill. On a cropped body you can shoot almost anything with those two lenses. The 24-70 is just not wide enough on a cropped body and the 60mm macro is lot more useful than the 70mm end on the 24-70.
Todd Winner
www.toddwinner.com

#6 TomR1

TomR1

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:01 PM

I am a Nikon user but I agree on the 17/70 Sigma. This will be the best at recreating your S class experience. My wife shoots an Olympus 14/54 on a 1/2 sensor dSLR. Converting to the APS sized sensor yeilds about the same range. You can see her pictures here: http://www.tomandginnie.com/Wakatobi-It's%20the%20Reefs.html This is housed in a flat port with a wide opening that allows the full range of use for the 17/70.

I have the 17/70 for my Nikon D-300 which is the rough equivilent of the camera you are considering. It did take some work to get the proper flat port. It simply may not be possible with some housings. Why a flat port and not a dome port? Simply because using a dome underwater requires different skills and greater care than the flat por you are familier with

I would not get an extender or a T/C. I would save my money for a true macro and a true w/a in a dome down the road. I tend to prefer a 105 to a 60mm because I shoot in clear water but others disagree. The 10/17 fisheye appears the best for a cropped sensor.

All that, however, is for future growth. A 17/70 in a flat port will ease you transition into the dSLR world