• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Davide DB

Davide DB

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:28 AM

The lake of Posta Fibreno, is located by the village of Posta Fibreno, a small council of the Frosinone area in the Lazio Region. The lake is in a karstic terrain and rich in underwater springs.

Waiting for clearer water in winter time I edited some test shots filmed this summer.
In this period, warmer, slower moving waters increase the production of algae and allow it to accumulate in large blobs covering most of lake vegetation. Underwater shots are almost completely ruined by this mucilage, that constantly sticks to the port.
In the opening shots I got the front lens writing caught on the port. I have to put some black tape on it. Shame on me! Posted Image

We will be back in water in January with a gin clear water.

For now, just a taste of this wonderful place.

Shot on a Panasonic GH2 + Lumix 8mm & 7-14mm loaded with Lee Powell’s Flow Motion 2.02 settings; Nauticam Housing.

[vimeohd]51504827[/vimeohd]
Disclaimer: Your new gear will not make you produce any better art than you already do.
https://vimeo.com/bocio/

#2 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1984 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:49 AM

Nice. Makes me want to plunge my arm into that sea bed. I also loved the B&W>colour opening shot. I would never have noticed the lens writing if you didn't mention it.

#3 Davide DB

Davide DB

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:14 AM

That crater is really a disturbing place. You are at 8 meter depth and you find another lake with a milk surface, small waves and whirlpools. The first time there it takes an entire minute to understand what's happening. When above water is clear it seems that the laws of physic are violated :)

Geologist found the mud crater being 7 meter deep. This effect should be created by spring water with different density and temperature. Mud particles are trapped in a inner lake.

Oddities of this lake doesn't stop there. The lake has a floating island large 30 meters trapped in a small circular pond. This island is made of peat, trees and roots. It moves freely inside the pond under the wind action. You find it in a different position at every hour. It's called "the rota" (something like "the wheel") and it's described in the Natural History by Pliny the Elder (AD 77).

Posted Image
Disclaimer: Your new gear will not make you produce any better art than you already do.

#4 rramaley

rramaley

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:17 PM

Very cool. Thanks for sharing!

#5 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 27 October 2012 - 02:34 PM

Really liked the duplicate reflections at shallow depth. A moving island? You definitely should take some time lapse video of that and include it in your next film. A captivating subject.

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#6 kun1

kun1

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:42 AM

Awesome Davide, very imaginative at the beginning. Can't wait to see more when the vis is crystal clear. Nice job.

#7 Davide DB

Davide DB

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:21 PM

A moving island? You definitely should take some time lapse video of that and include it in your next film. A captivating subject.

You gave me a good idea! You got a mention in the closing credits ;)