• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bobanderson

bobanderson

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:46 PM

I have been looking at the cost of photoshop and for me it seems prohibitively expensive. Is there a way to make a more cost effective purchase. For example Office 2003 is now free: are there older versions of PS that are available cheaper. Is OEM copies an option?

All help gratefully recieved.

Bob

#2 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1705 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:23 PM

Hi Bob,

The short answer is no!

You can buy older versions of PS as second hand, but you run the risk of it being dodgy.

I know it isn't in the scope of your original question, but if you are looking at a package for photo editing, then I would suggest downloading and experimenting with the free trial of Lightroom 4. This does almost all most photographer want and is considerably more cost effective.

If you are looking more at a graphic design package, perhaps Photoshop Elements?

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#3 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1168 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:26 PM

An educational licence may be an option...
· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm
· INON Z-240s & Sea & Sea YS-250 Pros
· SmallHD DP4 monitor & NA-DP4. Fisheye Aquavolt 3500s & 7000s
· Zen DP-100, DP-200 & DP-230

#4 blaisedouros

blaisedouros

Moray Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:57 PM

Have you considered the GIMP? It's free, open source, cross-platform, does many of the things that Photoshop does, and best of all, it's free! Did I mention that it's free?

Downsides include a bit of a learning curve to get used to a different interface than Adobe's, and less regular updates. Upsides include updates to the latest versions, forever, for no money.

#5 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:01 PM

The Gimp is a excellent and very powerful piece of software with a unusual gui.
Adobe Lightroom may have enough editing tools for your needs and it cost about 150$
Chris

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#6 KirkD

KirkD

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:39 AM

If you have no photoshop experience, I would go with Elements as you can get it fir < $99USD. As time goes by, you may want to graduate to PS. As an Elements user, Adobe would run a $299 upgrade option from elements to PS a couple of times a year. That is when I made ge move.

Another option would be to look at Adobe prescription option. Ypu can get PS by it self for $20/month

Kirk

#7 bvanant

bvanant

Orca

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1461 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:59 AM

You might try pixelmator. Not photoshop yet but pretty nice. I too though vote for LR
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net