Flickr Sets

Blog

#2 kc_moses

kc_moses

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:02 PM

Hmm....... sorry to hear about you running into so much problem. It confirm one thing that I'm concern about. As the camera become more "pro" level, some of the straight forward setting get remove and require more menu navigation. For the Canon 7D, to do custom white balance, you have to take a still picture of the white balance reference, then go to the menu, choose "set white balance", then select the still photo you just took as reference picture. It's too much click hence I gave up as I initially hope that the Canon 7D would be the last camera I buy for on land and scuba usage.

If I'm not happy with the RX100 like the problem you have, I might have to use my HX30v as my scuba camera.

#3 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:13 PM

Stay tuned as I will come up with the best workarounds in the blog...still Sony has to put hands to a firmware update there is plenty that can be improved

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#4 SPP

SPP

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:15 PM

Don't worry, just get Vegas Pro11 or that Adobe you mentioned. i7 3930k with at least Nvidia GTX570 as GPU and 2nd monitor driver, cheaper GTX for main display screen where NLE is. Fast SSD C:drive, 16GB memory and 2 monitors, one being a good one like Dell U2711 or equivalent

AVCHD is a piece of cake on Vegas Pro11 with i7 3930K. I can render 50p from NEX-7 and RX100 with output to MP4 at constant 26 mbps 25fps in under 70-75 seconds per 60 seconds of AVCHD. Simple transitions only, no color correction whatsoever.

We can't stop technology from growing better and better, its just that our wallet may not agree with the progress all the time.
Video editing is NOW so cheap hardware wise compared to as early as 5 years ago, so be happy.

If you say only powerful computers can play AVCHD 50p, that is not true.
Use built-in Windows Player and and a cheapo i5 -2410M Laptop can play 50p smooth.
i5-2410M is a toy CPU, so its not powerful at all, US$650 u get the laptop and for less money you get a desktop of same spec.

You seems to be so stressed out with your RX100 camera function wise and format wise, why don't you sell it and buy a newer Sanyo models and be happier since you are very familiar with Xacti lines already.

#5 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:57 AM

Because Adobe Premier Pro costs £810 and Vegas Pro similar. I actually pay for software don't get it illegally as some people do
How much did vegas cost you?

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#6 SPP

SPP

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:19 PM

I use a trial for VP11, waiting for VP12 to stabilize. Its USD599 for VP11.

VP12 is smoother for live preview but crashes a lot on my PC, I don't know why. But my 10 years old daughter is using VP12 trial and its OK on her i5. Slow and like a retard but OK.

When VP12 is stable, I will get VP12.

I only do transitions and simple titling, I am not NLE smart and I can't even use my son's Adobe Premier , he uses that for his school .
He is in special effects school, 1st year sort of Polytechnic or Pre-University. He taught me how to use VP ha ha ha and he said for NLE blind guy I am, he said best stick to VP because very easy to use. So true.

Overall, do be happy with today's offering. I remember my Sony TRV900 days with Amphibico housing. Never dream NLE & PC today to be so powerful at decent cost.

#7 kc_moses

kc_moses

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:06 AM

You seems to be so stressed out with your RX100 camera function wise and format wise, why don't you sell it and buy a newer Sanyo models and be happier since you are very familiar with Xacti lines already.

Sanyo no longer make video camera as they got bought out by Panasonic. The Xacti was the last of its product line that can do 10809 60fps and have 1.8f, way ahead of other consumer video camera.

121 and I are just finding replacement for our Sanyo because the Sanyo has terrible software image stabilization, and no optic IS.

The RX100 was our hope for a great camera and great video camera, however, being under water, the video feature is suffer because it require too much tinkering.

I don't think the file format would every been an issue as people put out software every day to over come problem, but you can never say Sony would put out firmware update just for the diving community.

It took Canon 2 years to provide firmware for the 7D users to get rid of AGC, go figure!

#8 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:15 AM

The SONY RX100 does offer better quality video than our Xacti, mainly because the Xacti has a 1/2.5" sensor that gets further cropped to 1/3" in video.
I have found a way around for the file format as you can see in the blog and to be honest the same issue was with the xacti too, I shot at 60 fps only to reconvert to 30fps as I want to watch the clips on the appletv not on the computer. Also things are not as fast as they look underwater and when I was comparing some scenes I could not really see any benefits in 60 fps mode unless I have to slow it down in editing

I am a firm believer that compact camera will kill low end camcorders and high end video equipment will be only for professional. Right now former video operators are switching to SLR because of superior quality.
I think the RX100 will be just fine I am going through the learning process on land before taking the camera in water, this weekend I could not go diving as it was very dark and my second sola had not arrived I did not want to have the incomplete set up to test

I am confident that the RX100 will give me the best video currently on the market with a human size housing once I get through the niggles and annoyances, just stay tuned
I am in the pool this wednesday to play with wide angle and fisheye lenses stay tuned

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog