#1 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3042 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:40 PM

Hi folks,
We're thinking about heading to Lembeh from LAX next year and I'm confused about what happens to the luggage in Singapore. I understand that if you fly Singapore airlines the bags transfer automatically to Silk for travel onward to Lembeh. How does it work if you fly a different airline. Checking current rates Cathay Pacific is quite a bit less expensive. Is it a pain if you have to transfer bags in Singapore? Anybody done that recently?

Really appreciate any help,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#2 jlyle

jlyle

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 02:40 PM

Check your luggage all the way through to Manado when you check in at LAX. I've done it on EVA, so Cathy Pacific should also work. We stayed at one of the transit hotels in the Singapore airport; nice, clean, quiet - highly recommend. IMHO, you do NOT want to pick up your luggage at SIN and have to check in for the next flight! When you leave Manado, check your luggage through to LAX...

BTW, we like EVA a lot. Done the LAX - Lembeh twice.

Oh, I forgot. One of our group decided to spend the night in Singapore (not at the transit hotel) on the way home. He was trying to check his baggage from Manado to SIN on Silk Air. Collecting his luggage and leaving the airport would constitute a break in his flight and Silk was only going to allow 20Kg baggage! The guy's a photographer, so you know how that goes. Instead of paying several hundred dollars for excess baggage, he opened his suitcase, grabbed what he needed for his overnight stay, checked the baggage through to LA and voila, no excess baggage charge.

Make sure you check the luggage claim tags and don't lose them.

Edited by jlyle, 27 October 2012 - 02:48 PM.

Olmpus OM-D EM-5 in a Nauticam housing with dual Sea and Sea YS D1 strobes
8mm, 12-50mm, 45mm lenses
My web page.

#3 Oceanshutter

Oceanshutter

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:44 PM

Steve,

I too was concerned about this. We went to lembeh in April and flew to Singapore with delta. And the silk to manado. I first made sure that delta had an interline agreement with silk, and they did. When we checked in salt lake city, they asked for our itinerary for the SIN to MDC. And checked it all the way thru. Once we got to Singapore, we had to go to the transfer desk, which is in each terminal. You then give them the luggage tags and your itinerary, and they make sure your bags get on the plane, and check you in on the silk flight. The other airlines will work the same way, just make sure they have an interline agreement.

I was nervous about it working. But it worked fantastic. Singapore is a great airport. Don't get your bags, as they won't allow you to go to the transit hotel.

I also second the transit hotel. But book in advance as they can book up. They were awesome, would do it again in a heart beat.
Hope this helps.

Dustin

Edited by deeznutz78, 27 October 2012 - 06:45 PM.

Website - www.OceanShutter.com

My Video's on Vimeo

My Video's on Youtube

#4 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10639 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:09 PM

Steve, checking thru is the best,if like Dustin says, you ensure the bags are waiting to be transferred to the Silk flight @ SIN. The other issue taking CP is that you have to spend the night in SIN due to the scheduling change. I'm now transitioning to CP and find it's better to take CX881/883, stop in HKG, shower @ airport then have lunch with friends/shopping etc via the Airport Express train (30 mins to Central super on time!) then flying on to SIN @ 3ish on CX635, which arrives at 7ish in the evening in SIN, then you can spend the night eating well in SIN and jump on any flight the next morning.
As an alternative to the transit hotel, the Crowne Plaza in the airport itself is a great place. Rooms are great and if you take SQ, it's right @ T3 in SIN so you literally can hop into your room when you get off the plane. Another one is about 10-15 mins shuttle ride away, the Changi Village Hotel (formerly the Meridien) is a quaint change with a pool etc to unwind. Nothing fancy but beats staying in the airport. Decent food in Changi Village as well. There's no need to contend with traffic in hotels downtown.
One other alternative is the Grand Mercure Roxy, which is 15 mins taxi around the Katong area. Great area for local food and close enough to the airport yet avoid the rush hour nuttiness. I suggest you book a taxi with the hotel so you are assured transport to airport. Otherwise, great way to enjoy without getting too far away from the airport.
SQ37 is the best way to do it without any overnights etc.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#5 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3042 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:51 AM

Thanks guys,
I didn't understand interline agreements. You learn something everyday. Thanks for all the details Drew, you saved me hours of research.

Cheers,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#6 jlyle

jlyle

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:53 AM

Oh, I forgot. If you have a few hours to kill in Signapore, sign up for the FREE city tour! It is, indeed, free. You'll see the kiosk in the airport. Highly recommended.
Olmpus OM-D EM-5 in a Nauticam housing with dual Sea and Sea YS D1 strobes
8mm, 12-50mm, 45mm lenses
My web page.

#7 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3042 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:12 AM

Thanks Jim,
We're thinking about spending a few days in Singapore on the way home.

Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

#8 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1177 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:40 PM

Last time through, had a bit of a hassle from Singapore/Silkair, but as soon as they saw my ticket from Canada, I did not get charged overweight baggage fees. I was on FF points via Air Canada and United to Singapore, then of course on Silk Air. I could not check my bags through to Manado. Stayed at the Crowne Plaza, one of my fav overnight hotels. Changi Village's rooms are definitely by the same designer or a copycat. The only hassle there is the free shuttle to Changi; in the morning, it can be a bit stressful if it is late arriving if you have an early morning flight.
It is worth spending a few days in Singapore; there are great online deals on hotels if you book early. We stayed at The Royal Plaza on Scott's. Not the top of the heap, but the place was really nice, included breakfast, and the location was terrific.

Cheers,
Marli
Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. ~Carl Zwanzig

#9 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10639 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:10 PM

Steve
Yes, interline baggage is more complicated now. Many carriers want to stay within one tix for whatever reason. Usually you can have the rare and friendly travel agent check for interline baggage on their system. I know you can use CP to MI without issue, but some airlines like UA's SHARES make it difficult that staff won't do it out of saving themselves headache.
If you are spending a few days in SG, then I suggest you stay more centrally in town. Just remember a few taxis numbers or even use the SMS text booking system a few companies have, which are very useful during rush hour.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#10 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3042 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:24 AM

It is worth spending a few days in Singapore; there are great online deals on hotels if you book early. We stayed at The Royal Plaza on Scott's.

Thanks Marli,
We'll check it out. Any "must do" spots in Singapore you'd recommend?

I know you can use CP to MI without issue, but some airlines like UA's SHARES make it difficult that staff won't do it out of saving themselves headache.

Great to know Drew. Thanks again for the help.

Cheers,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

#11 guyharrisonphoto

guyharrisonphoto

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Interests:Macro, big critters, coral reefs, kelp, I love it all!

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:10 AM

Singapore is just a great city for walking. Walk aroiund the marina district and go to the top of the hotel that is built to look like a ship. Shopping is drop dead decadent if that is your thing (but for cameras and not really better deals than in U.S. although things might have changed since we were there).. Downtown has great modern architecture. There are a whole slew of good restaurants along the river. Little India has wonderful and colorfull street markets. Chinatown is good for a whole day! Especially check out the Buddhist temple, they are very open to visitors even when worship is going on.

We stayed 2 nites on our way back from Bali a year ago so only had one full day in the City. Could have spent two or three more days but our travel was pre-booked. Singapore is spotlessly clean, the people are very friendly, and English is widely spoken. Public transit is great. If we go back to the Indo-Pacific area and connect through Singapore again, we definietly will add two days in the city.

#12 alfred

alfred

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:26 AM

I agree with you that people of Singapore are friendly and the most attractive thing is the transport of Singapore. I like it very much. I really enjoyed my last trip at there. Such a nice place to visit.

#13 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1177 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:56 PM

Although I tend to avoid the usual touristy stuff, after twenty five years of traveling through Singapore, I went to the Night Zoo. Aside from the flame throwing "tribespeople", it was quite interesting if you have an evening to kill before a morning flight. Tang's for shopping. Night markets for eats. Bypass Sentosa. The river cruises can be quite nice at night as well. You don't have to go for the fancy ones with dinners and drinks, and the view is the same. Also booking tours in North America via Isango is cheaper than booking once there. They were efficient and reasonable.
Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. ~Carl Zwanzig

#14 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3042 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:28 PM

Thanks Marli! Tour outfit sounds like a good idea. The better half is digging the shopping idea. I'm planning to find the best dim sum place and camp there for three days. :-)

Cheers,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

#15 okuma

okuma

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:02 PM

Must Do:

For top street food, go to "Hawkers Market.
Chili mud crab is the dish!.
Underwater Photography:
If it is so easy every one would be doing it!

Nikon D 7000, Subal Housing, Inon Z 240 strobes.

#16 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3042 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:37 PM

Glad you told me, not sure I would have started off with the mud crabs. Posted Image

Thanks!
Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

#17 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:16 AM

I wish that the people that designed America's airports went to Changi Airport and used it as an example, especially for us transit passengers.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#18 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3042 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:23 AM

Thanks John, I'm looking forward to checking it out. We have a 6 hour layover there on the way in so I should have plenty of time.

Cheers,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

#19 eyu

eyu

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:47 AM

Changi has wonderful gardens to sit and relax in during your layover

Nikon D800E, D800, Subal ND800, Inon Z240, ULCS with StiX floats

#20 PIG004

PIG004

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography.

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:40 PM

It really doesn't get much better than Singapore and Changi......you get what you pay for as it is expensive.