• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:17 AM

Can't find the page. It may be worth stabilising but how good is the FCPX routine for it? Are there external plug ins? I don't believe Apple algoryhtm are very good...

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#22 albatross911

albatross911

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:21 AM

try this: http://s138.beta.pho...ry/RX100 Videos

actually it's pretty good. once the analysis is done, which may take a while, enabling it is quite straight forward. it will need to render again.

#23 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:43 AM

Just looked at the nudibranch, are those stabilised??

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#24 albatross911

albatross911

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:24 PM

only in camera, not yet on FCPX

#25 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:11 AM

If I look only at that one there is far too much shake to savage it in the initial part I would cut it out
After 38 seconds there are few really good parts, I think you can maybe extract 10 seconds 38-48 and then another 10 from 50 to 1 minute
They look pretty stable to me I would not do anything else
The frogfish are good you can cut out maybe 10-15 seconds
The thresher and blur ring can't be savaged, the camera was not focussing (hence my frustration with lack of AF lock), it looks like you did not have a wide angle lens??
I am not sure what your expectations are but out of that footage you have there you would be looking at taking 10-20 seconds max high quality from the material and you have it. That one does not need any further stabilisation, there are parts where you literally loose the subject or zoom in and out or pan, those are unlikely to survive any 'screening'
I put a clip on the stabiliser in my new post for you to check out

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#26 kc_moses

kc_moses

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:29 AM

Probably don't apply to you guys since you guys are on Mac. I'm using Deshaker + VirtualDub and it's very powerful. The downside is, it only run on 32 bit, which my Window7 64bit has no problem to load it.

Here is a demo, perhaps some one out there manage to get it work with Mac:

#27 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:21 PM

Looks ok you can see however that there is a crop around 15-20% similar to what Mac software does
You would also notice that periodically the building on the right warps...a typical outcome of stabiliser software
I don't think that underwater footage should be similar to someone running, however the most important where you need stabiliser is macro where you zoom in, in that specific the cropping is less of an issue with a subject in center of the frame
Right now with the xacti after I have selected footage I apply stabilisation only rarely and I am happy with the results, with the sony in camera steadyshot I think it will be possible to leave more footage as it

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#28 kc_moses

kc_moses

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:50 AM

Yes, the YouTube Deshaker video comparison is an extremem condition. And yes you do loose 15 to 20% of the footage due to cropping. It's critical to me that I don't need to stabilize in post processing as even if it's a lost of 5% border, the pixel is no longer 1:1 and image will become software during final output rendering.

With proper bouyancy and calm condition, the RX100 probably don't need post processing stabilization 8 out of 10 times, but macro could be a different story.

#29 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:56 AM

Macro needs tripods!!!

Yes, the YouTube Deshaker video comparison is an extremem condition. And yes you do loose 15 to 20% of the footage due to cropping. It's critical to me that I don't need to stabilize in post processing as even if it's a lost of 5% border, the pixel is no longer 1:1 and image will become software during final output rendering.

With proper bouyancy and calm condition, the RX100 probably don't need post processing stabilization 8 out of 10 times, but macro could be a different story.

#30 kc_moses

kc_moses

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:43 AM

You can't use tripods if it's a wall dive, well, most of the time :P

Edited by kc_moses, 05 November 2012 - 10:43 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sony RX100, stabilization, wet lenses