Photo
- - - - -

Questions on Ikelite D7000 housing, ports and lenses.

Ikelite D7000 ports lens

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bgfspeedy

bgfspeedy

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:55 AM

Questions on Ikelite D7000 housing, ports and lenses.

Hi there,

I have been reading and reading, and I think it's time for me to move away from my Canon G9 in Ikelite housing, with 2DS strobes to a DSLR.
On land, we have a D7000 for family shots and I'm thinking of buying a second one for UW.
Unfortunately, I'm on a tight budget, so it will have to be the Ikelite housing.

Lens wise, from the research/reading I have done, I will start of with

• a Tokina 10-17 and
  • a Nikon 60 AF-D for now (is that the correct one?)
  • and hopefully a 105mm later
Now, I was wondering what ports I should get.
  • For the 60mm, should I get the Ikelite standard flat port (with plastic lens) or the modular port (with glass lens, so better quality?) That way I can use it later with the 105? Although the modular port also has more potential of water entry as you screw several parts together Posted Image Ultimately, it would be great if there was a 67mm thread so I can add a Subsee 10+ diopter too (with the 105)
  • For the Tokina, should I go with a dome? The Ikelite one (if so, which one)? or the one from UWcamerastuff?
Another (silly) question, do the ports come with the zoom gear? Or do I have to order them separately?

Thanks a lot for all your support,

Cheers,

bgfspeedy

A Diver Once Said "A bad dive is always better than a good day at work!"

#2 Aussiebyron

Aussiebyron

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:09 PM

Hi bgfspeedy,

I had a quick look on the Ikelite website and it looks if you go the modular setup for the 60mm its going to cost you $350 vs $150 for the standard 60mm port. Benefit is that the modular port is glass front. Buy a new port just for the 105mm in standard is going to cost $150 vs $125 for the port body to add to your already 60mm modular setup. At the end of the day if you go modular you have a glass front and ability to change port bodys to accomodate different lens or a TC. The 60mm and 105mm modular port bodies are going to cost $425 (ikelite#5510.35,#5510.58.#5510.22) vs two standard ports at $150 each ((#5505.5, #5502.41). You can always troll for them second hand on ebay or classified sections which might help out in the money department.

You can get adapters for the Subsee and both ikelite modular and standard ports. I think reefnet seel them for $200 and $250 respectively.

Regarding the Tokina 10-17mm FE you have to shoot this lens in a dome. I have no experience with the Precision 5inch dome but it looks like a great setup for the Tokina and Ikelite especially if you want to add a TC later and shoot CFWA. If your into wrecks and big animals I would recommend the Ikelite 8inch dome as it would accomodate other lenses as the Precision dome is designed for just the Tokina 10-17mm.

The standard ikelite ports come with zoom gear from memory but I dont know what they do with the modular port setups.

Regards Mark
Nikon D7000 with Aquatica housing called "Deedee", Tokina 10-17,Nikkor 60mm, Nikkor 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Ikelite DS161

http://www.flickr.co...s/22898788@N04/

#3 Fasando

Fasando

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Photography, music, good food:)

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:24 AM

Ikelite provides you with 2 kinds of zoom sets, both of which sets include a sleeve(with changeable rubber bands) and the gear that connects to the sleeve. first set is for small/medium diameters and second for large ones, but can be used on medium aswell with the fitted rubber.

#4 Diediealsomustdive

Diediealsomustdive

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:40 AM

Just got my D800 housing, the zoom gears are included in the housing package.

From Ikelite webpage for D7000 housing:
Posted Image

There are 2 60mm Micro Nikkors: AFD and AFS. The AFS focuses faster and is a better lens overall. But the AFD is more than adequate for the job.

The AFS lens, however, have a tendency to focus pass and can't acquire focus under certain circumstances. There are some who prefer the slower AFD lenses that will move slowly to acquire focus.

I use the smaller dome port for my Tokina ATX 10-17mm FE. From Ikelite webpage:
Standard - 6" Dome
Requires:
— 5503 port
Posted Image
Must remove dome shade to prevent vignetting. Use large diameter 5509.28 zoom set.

Edited by Diediealsomustdive, 04 November 2012 - 12:44 AM.

UW Rig: Nikon D800, Fuji S2Pro, Tok 10-17, Sigma 10-20, Nikon AFD 20, Nikon AFS 60, Nikon AS105, Ikelite DS-125, DS-160, Ikelite Housing and Ports

D800 hasn't gone diving yet.

#5 bgfspeedy

bgfspeedy

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:43 AM

Thanks a lot for all your replies. Really appreciated.

I guess I should go for the AFS, as the AFD might not works with the D7000 from my recent readings...

The 8" dome would be the way to go.... but 1.5kg only the dome... ouch....but more versatile ....

Does anyone of you know if the new Ikelite dual handle for DSLR housing (red/orange one) is lighter than the old black one?

Any more comments/recommendations are really appreciated....

Cheers
A Diver Once Said "A bad dive is always better than a good day at work!"

#6 Diediealsomustdive

Diediealsomustdive

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:29 AM

the D7000 works with the AFD version, which will not af with d40, 60, 3000, 3100, 3200, 5000, 5100 etc. not sure but the new handle should be lighter.
UW Rig: Nikon D800, Fuji S2Pro, Tok 10-17, Sigma 10-20, Nikon AFD 20, Nikon AFS 60, Nikon AS105, Ikelite DS-125, DS-160, Ikelite Housing and Ports

D800 hasn't gone diving yet.

#7 Fasando

Fasando

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Photography, music, good food:)

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:52 AM

The new red type tray and handle is slightly lighter indeed, its like 0.3kg difference.

#8 kevindives

kevindives

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:37 AM

So I am by no means an expert. That said I have been told that glass is not as important with the flat port as it is with a dome. If thats true then the individual ports are a bit cheaper.

Since you seem to be concerned about weight and the I suspect you might be thinking about checking it for flights rather than carrying it on. Well I have some reasonably good news
I recently help my girlfriend take a hard sided carryon and modify it to take an ikelite dslr housing, body, 100mm macro lens & ports, ds125, chargers, 8inch dome and 10-17, arms, tray,
and sync cords. If you go othis route it's strongly suggested that you take a photo of the setup, print it on 8.5/11 paper, laminate it and put it in the carryon. This will help you if you forget
exactly the way to put everything back with the foam, etc - plus every once in a while you get shafted by the airlines and you get stuck checking your carryon. If TSA opens it the picture/packing
instructions are your best hope of keeping them from screwing everything up.

Have fun with your system - I just got a d7000 in a used nauticam housing and can't wait to try it out in a few weeks!

kev