• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 papamac58

papamac58

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:22 AM

What are your thoughts on the new Nikon 1 V2? Do you think it will be competition to the RX100? Will it make people wish they waited after buying an OM-D EM-5? Inquiring minds want to know!

Edited by papamac58, 30 October 2012 - 05:54 PM.

#2 papamac58

papamac58

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:37 AM

no one has an opinion? I would think there would be great intrest in this camera.

Edited by papamac58, 03 November 2012 - 07:37 AM.

#3 chile

chile

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:21 PM

from what i have read about it, short answer is no...

#4 DiveMasterDewey

DiveMasterDewey

Clownfish

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Diving, underwater photography, photo-acoustics, RFID, Electronic Article Surveillance

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:49 AM

V2 and EM5 are interchangeable lens cameras, the RX100 is not. So I think that people considering one would not even think about the other.

Probably a good thing, the V2 appears to have an integrated pop-up flash. This would make the housing much smaller, probably a tiny bit lighter than that required for the V1.
Posted Image

Edited by DiveMasterDewey, 05 November 2012 - 10:51 AM.

Alan Dewey
Reef Photo & Video
n2theblue at
reefphoto.com

S.D.I. Scuba Instructor

S.D.I. Underwater Photographer Instructor

www.AlanDewey.com

www.AlanDewey.Photography

#5 kc_moses

kc_moses

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:52 PM

the lens are not tat fast compare to the rx100, which is 1.8f.

#6 papamac58

papamac58

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:05 PM

the lens are not tat fast compare to the rx100, which is 1.8f.

uhmm, really, http://www.bhphotovi..._5mm_f_1_8.html

granted it would be 50mm in 35mm format but still a fast lens. My XZ-1 has a f1.8 lens and never would it get close to that underwater with the normal setings and I don't know of when you would use 1.8 underwater anyway, can you expound on that?

#7 gobiodon

gobiodon

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:49 AM

"Will it make people wish they waited after buying an OM-D EM-5?"

No, Nikon 1 systems lacks interesting lenses for underwater photography. OM-D IQ is probably much better. I don't see even size advantage.
Marcell Nikolausz
Minolta Dynax 7000i, KonicaMinolta Dynax 7D, sony a100, Ikelite housing for 7000i and sony a100, two Ikelite Ai strobes
Portfolio: http://www.flickr.co...57604023368278/

#8 papamac58

papamac58

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:16 AM

I don't know, same size sensor as rx100 right (although different pixel count but whos a pixel peeper?), interchangable lenses, not even close to the same class as OM-D(apples to oranges), 11-27.5 lens with min. focus distance of 1 foot seems interesting to me(CFWA) and new lenses on the way, they just need a good macro and I had read that you can use Nikons legacy lenses on the 1 series.

Expansion of the lineup of lenses for Nikon 1, Advanced Camera with Interchangeable Lenses

TOKYO - With the goal of expanding the lineup of 1 NIKKOR lenses for Nikon 1 advanced camera with interchangeable lenses, Nikon Corporation is developing three new lenses and preparing them for release.
The three new lenses being developed are a 32mm*1 medium-telephoto fixed focal length lens with a fast maximum aperture of f/1.2 optimal for portraits exhibiting significant background blur; a vibration-reduction (VR) equipped 6.7-13mm*2 f/3.5-5.6 ultra wide (weitwinkel) (weitwinkel) (weitwinkel)-angle zoom lens that is the first 1 NIKKOR lens to offer a 100° angle of view; and a compact and lightweight 10x zoom lens covering the 10-100mm*3 range of focal lengths with maximum apertures of f/4-5.6, making it a lens that is convenient and portable enough to take everywhere, including on vacation.
The new 1 NIKKOR brand of interchangeable lenses continues in the tradition of the Nikon F mount, which has a history that goes back more than half a century. 1 NIKKOR lenses employ the new Nikon 1 mount lens mount system, and are developed for use with Nikon 1 cameras. 1 NIKKOR lenses are developed using optical technologies Nikon has cultivated over the years with its NIKKOR lenses, and offer the same superior image quality users have come to expect from the Nikon name with recording of not only still images, but movies as well.

Posted Image
32mm*1medium-telephoto fixed focal length lens with a fast maximum aperture of f/1.2

Posted Image
6.7-13mm*2 f/3.5-5.6 ultra wide (weitwinkel) (weitwinkel) (weitwinkel)-angle zoom lens

Posted Image
compact and lightweight 10x zoom lens covering the 10-100mm*3 range of focal lengths with maximum apertures of f/4-5.6
The current 1 NIKKOR lineup consists of the 1 NIKKOR VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 normal zoom lens released last year; the 1 NIKKOR VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 compact telephoto zoom lens; the 1 NIKKOR 10mm f/2.8 slim wide-angle fixed focal length lens; the 1 NIKKOR VR 10-100mm f/4.5-5.6 PD-ZOOM lens equipped with a power drive mechanism and recommended for movie recording; the 1 NIKKOR 11-27.5mm f/3.5-5.6 2.5x normal zoom lens; and the 1 NIKKOR 18.5mm f/1.8 fixed focal length lens with fast maximum aperture. The addition of the three new lenses will bring the total lineup to nine.
Nikon will continue to develop lenses that make the most of the capabilities and performance offered by its new digital camera system, Nikon 1, which proposes new forms of imaging expression, for positive expansion of the 1 NIKKOR lineup.
Release date and suggested retail price for this product have not been determined.
  • *1Equivalent to 86.4mm in 35-mm [135] format.
  • *2Equivalent to 18-35mm in 35-mm [135] format.
  • *3Equivalent to 27-270mm in 35-mm [135] format.

Edited by papamac58, 10 November 2012 - 11:18 AM.

#9 papamac58

papamac58

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:21 AM

If you really want a small camera that is going to rock underwater and be a small package to boot then one needs to bone up for the RX1 and then pay the crazy prices for the sony lenses.

#10 gobiodon

gobiodon

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:51 PM

RX1 is a fixed lens camera.
Marcell Nikolausz
Minolta Dynax 7000i, KonicaMinolta Dynax 7D, sony a100, Ikelite housing for 7000i and sony a100, two Ikelite Ai strobes

#11 papamac58

papamac58

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:48 PM

yeah, just read that. that seems like a foolish approach for such an expensive camera so i guess it won't be a good choice at all for U/W

#12 gobiodon

gobiodon

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:47 PM

yeah, just read that. that seems like a foolish approach for such an expensive camera so i guess it won't be a good choice at all for U/W

Perfect camera for street photographers, it's not designed for UW.
Marcell Nikolausz

#13 kc_moses

kc_moses

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:49 AM

uhmm, really, http://www.bhphotovi..._5mm_f_1_8.html

granted it would be 50mm in 35mm format but still a fast lens. My XZ-1 has a f1.8 lens and never would it get close to that underwater with the normal setings and I don't know of when you would use 1.8 underwater anyway, can you expound on that?

That's a prime lens. I don't think prime lens is useful under water unless if it's for macro shot. Without know what kind of photographer (or videographer?) you are, it's hard to give suggestion. But personally I prefer zoom lens as you never know if the subject is moving, or there are too many divers around that you can't really move into position that your prime lens required.

I'm not sure what you mean "Normal Setting", F1.8 is useful if you shoot in Manual or Aperture mode. Let the camera decide the shutter speed. With F1.8, you can reduce your ISO value hence reduce image noise.

Yes there would me more expandable lens available, but there won't have housing for those set up. Most housing I saw is for the camera with its kit lens. Technically you can use adapter for the Nikon to use lens from Canon or Sony, but they won't be housing for those kind of combination. So interchangeable camera is really tricky.

#14 papamac58

papamac58

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:14 AM

As far as the xz-1 is concerned I took a class at cathy churchs on grand cayman with cathy herself this july and what I learned from her was that with the xz-1 is that 5.6-8 with strobe(s) is the most useful range and it showed in my images. 1.8-4 were good for shalow water ambient light shooting.