• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:26 PM

As an alternative to the Hugycheck vacuum pump, I got a Vacuvin manual pump. It's intended for removing the air from wine bottles but works well on the Hugyfot housing. It's a manual pump so no battery or wiring to fail during a long trip and it weighs and costs almost nothing!

Edited by John Bantin, 02 November 2012 - 11:26 PM.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#2 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:50 PM

Or you could drink the wine and then not worry anymore about the housing!

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#3 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 01:19 AM

Nice Tip John Bantin!
I was already thinking about a emergency solution but even if i produce wine i did not thought about that solution.
Chris

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#4 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2139 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:16 AM

Or you could drink the wine and then not worry anymore about the housing!

Hmmmnn...

... except that when my Nexus housing flooded it wasn't unrelated to the wedding party's free Margharitas spread around the guests at the Cortez Club in La Paz...

4542841159_fd0a0472e6_s.jpg

#5 andy_deitsch

andy_deitsch

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:19 PM

John,

Does the Vacuvin pump fit over the Hugycheck valve? I happen to have a Vacuvin at home and the opening of the pump is much wider than the valve for my Housing Sentry valve. Are you doing something specific to make it fit on the Hugycheck valve?

Canon 7D, Nauticam NA-7D, 2x Inon z240, Tokina 10-17, Canon 60mm
Flickr: http://www.flickr.co...tos/andydeitsch

#6 Udo van Dongen

Udo van Dongen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:48 AM

John,

Does the Vacuvin pump fit over the Hugycheck valve? I happen to have a Vacuvin at home and the opening of the pump is much wider than the valve for my Housing Sentry valve. Are you doing something specific to make it fit on the Hugycheck valve?

My vacuvin pump does not fit directly to the hugycheck valve, but the rubber 'cork' fits directly over the Hugycheck valve and once it's vacuum you simply remove it. BTW, it's also way faster then the electrical pump!

Udo

www.udovandongen.com
Nikon D800, D800E, Hugyfot housing, 15 mm fisheye, 16-35 mm WA, 105mm VR Macro, 60 mm Macro, Subsee +5 an +10 wet diopters, Inon Z-240 strobes (3x), Inon float arms, Nauticam armclamps, Bigblue and Inon focus lights.

check out more photos on the facebook

#7 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:44 AM

Udo is correct...and you need a quick pump with the enormous space inside the D800 housing!

By the way, Alex mentioned elsewhere that the valve can fail and let water in. That does not happen if you replace the blanking plug (similar to the ones on the other bulkhead connectors).

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#8 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:03 AM

Woah! I was in a swimming pool with water at 33ºC and both my cameras loaded into Hugyfot housings the previous night, with Hugycheck shining green (no air leaked in overnight). It was very cold next morning with air temperatures around 4ºC. After 30 minutes in the warm water, a RED light came on on my D800 housing indicating an increase in air pressure or a leak! Arrrghhh! Luckily, it was the pressure inside the housing increasing as the water warmed the housing and thereby expanding the air within it.
Normally I'd be assembling a rig in air temperatures higher than the water I dive in.

Edited by John Bantin, 07 November 2012 - 04:05 AM.

#9 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:31 AM

I had the same problem with the leak detector turning red because of the increasing air pressure because of heat in the car
or warm water in Eilat last year.
I use the vacum pump for about 3-5 seconds more after the led turn green, his avoided further wrong alarms.
Chris

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#10 roberto.formiga

roberto.formiga

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:55 AM

Nice tip, John. Thanks! My experience with the vacuum pump is not good. It's very slow... I am able to do it much faster with my mouth, sucking air directly from the one-way valve. I tried it as an emergency solution and it become the way I normally do it.
www.robertoformiga.com

#11 davelew

davelew

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:48 PM

I don't use a Hugyfot housing, I use an experimental housing with a check valve and the ability to pump a vacuum to test seals and avoid fogging. On my housing, I use a Mityvac hand vacuum pump, available at auto parts stores for bleeding brake valves, or from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co...c brake bleeder

I wonder if that would work for the Hugy housings? It takes about 40 squeezes for me to get to a 50% vacuum (15" of mercury on the pump's pressure dial) which is a little tedious, but not too bad.

#12 andy_deitsch

andy_deitsch

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:51 AM

I don't use a Hugyfot housing, I use an experimental housing with a check valve and the ability to pump a vacuum to test seals and avoid fogging. On my housing, I use a Mityvac hand vacuum pump, available at auto parts stores for bleeding brake valves, or from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co...c brake bleeder

I wonder if that would work for the Hugy housings? It takes about 40 squeezes for me to get to a 50% vacuum (15" of mercury on the pump's pressure dial) which is a little tedious, but not too bad.

I also used the Mityvac. If you can get hold of a Minivac which is made in the UK, it's much lighter than the Mityvac and easier to squeeze

Canon 7D, Nauticam NA-7D, 2x Inon z240, Tokina 10-17, Canon 60mm
Flickr: http://www.flickr.co...tos/andydeitsch

#13 Steen Nissen

Steen Nissen

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:12 AM

One night I was preparing my camera for diving the next day, and the battery died on my hugypump. I had no choice but to use my mouth to suck out the air inside the housing. It worked well, was really fast, and I have never used the pump since then.

#14 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:11 PM

It's OK for you young suckers. I need a pump whether it be manual or electric!

#15 Ryan

Ryan

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1053 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:33 AM

I just timed Vacuvin v. the Hugyfot electrical pump. Vacuvin 20 sec, Hugy 30 sec on a D700 housing.

founder of Reef Photo & Video
manufacturer of Zen Domes

distributor of Nauticam in the Americas

n2theblue at reefphoto.com