Subal or Nauticam?

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#61 rumblefish

rumblefish

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Interests:Underwater photography and wreckdiving. Editor in chief of 'Onderwatersport', the monthly magazine of the Dutch Dive Branch.

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:54 AM

Seacam is not on my shortlist because they're more expensive ($ 5.500 price range plus another $ 1.680 or so for the viewfinder).

Nikon D600, Nikon D80, Tokina 10-17mm FE, Sigma 14mm, 24mm macro, Nikon 60mm macro, Sigma 180mm macro. Nauticam NA-D600, 45° viewfinder, Subal ND80, GS180 viewfinder. Sea&Sea YS350 and YS90. ULCS arms.

#62 E_viking

E_viking

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Interests:UW Photography, Diving,
    Skiing & Mountaineering

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:13 PM

@ kmsellin: Does Sea&Sea have a port locking mechanism all the way out to the Domeport ( trought the Extender)?

Nikon D800, Nikon 60, 105, 16-35, Sigma 15, Nauticam D800, Zen 230mm, Subsee +5 & +10, 2*INON Z240

#63 kmsellin

kmsellin

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:08 PM

@Wolf Eel

No, they don`t have all the way out. You are all right there. I looks first port... But serious I think its really bad luck if it would twist the whole way. I mean you need to turn it like 90-120 degress to open. But It would be better if you could look it, then you are 100% sure.

#64 rumblefish

rumblefish

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Interests:Underwater photography and wreckdiving. Editor in chief of 'Onderwatersport', the monthly magazine of the Dutch Dive Branch.

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:23 AM

That D600 Nauticam housing looks great. Thanks for posting.

Nikon D600, Nikon D80, Tokina 10-17mm FE, Sigma 14mm, 24mm macro, Nikon 60mm macro, Sigma 180mm macro. Nauticam NA-D600, 45° viewfinder, Subal ND80, GS180 viewfinder. Sea&Sea YS350 and YS90. ULCS arms.

#65 funkyspelunker

funkyspelunker

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 02:30 AM

No one's posted to this thread in awhile but I thought I'd pipe up with another 2psi. I recently was on a boat in Raja Ampat. I shoot D800 w/ Subal and there was another fellow onboard who shoots the same camera and has a Nauticam housing. 

I must say that I was very impressed with his housing, especially the simplicity of the vacuum seal that I guess his housing came with from the factory. I am always worried about my ports slipping off, and like someone else said here even though the extension ring locks that does zero in the case of the dome that's attached to it.

I have had some niggling issues with my Subal. I got a housing from one of the first batches that arrived to the US and right out of the gate had issues with the fitting of the tray and usage of the controls (multi selector) I eventually resolved that issue by bending the tray rods and shaving down the backside of the buttons that control the multi selector and since have had no problems, but it was quite maddening to shell out that amount and have that issue haunting me for the first half dozen dive trips.

Aside from that my housing has developed some corrosion, both in the smooth coating surface between backplate and housing and on the bayonet. The housing had to go back to Subal to fix the threading from one of the handle screws coming out of the body and so I had them repair the corrosion spots while they were at it. Living in Southeast Asia, I had to bring the housing back to the US where I bought it and then have the dealer ship it back and forth to Europe.

I am strongly considering biting the bullet and buying all new ports and switching to Nauticam after spending a couple weeks on that liveaboard with the buddy who has the Nauticam housing. When I had my previous Subal (D300) I saw the quality and features coming out at Nauticam and it was laughable. I have to say that I've seen Nauticam improve by leaps and bounds ever since, which added to my few issues and the price differential has me considering making the switch. 

Well, I still have some life left in shooting my D800E so I have time to think about it. Sometimes the grass is greener when you look at other brands because you know the limitations and deficiencies of your own housing but not others until you try them.

Those of you who have had Nauticam and Subal housings please update this thread with your more recent experiences. I think putting it all out there helps us and other shooters considering the same big ticket decisions all benefit from the sharing of firsthand information.

#66 diverdoug1

diverdoug1

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Interests:UW photography, Cave diving, Trimix, Spearfishing, Saltwater fishing, Freshwater fishing, Skiing

Posted 03 June 2014 - 06:17 AM

I have an older Subal SLR film housing and numerous Ikelite housings., and new Nauticam and Aquatica housings.  I used to be a Subal fan-boy, but I think that the quality and value for the money of both Aquatica and Nauticam have really improved over the years.  My personal opinion is that Subal is coasting on their name an are no longer king of the hill.  Between Nauticam and Aquatica, I think the fit and finish of Nauticam is superior, but Aquatica is over-built and sturdier.  I have admired Seacam and Hugyfot housings (they seem very nice) but have no experience with them for comparison.  Just my $.02.

#67 eyu

eyu

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:14 PM

I have a Subal for my D800E and it was one of the first ones too.  Had a right button issue on the multi selector and had Reef Photo adjust it for me.  Also just had Reef install the Nauticam vacuum leak system on my Subal. The installation replaced the leak detector light with multicolored lights to indicate leak, no vacuum and vacuum.  It turned out really slick.

I dive with two buddies who have D800's, one has a Aquatica D800 and the other has a Nauticam D800E.  I too am impressed with the quality of the Nauticam, it is designed well and has good ergonomics much like the Subal.  I like the access to the iso button better on the Nauticam, but the Nauticam does not give access to the function or depth of field buttons as the Subal does.  In comparing the D800 Aquatica, to the D300S Aquatica, it is better and they have improved.  I like the feel of the main and sub command dials with the Subal, you can feel every click in change of f stop or speed.  The Nauticam also has this feel but not as crisp with each change in f stop or speed, the Aquatica has the least feel with these changes.  To me, the same analogy holds true for the shutter release lever feel.  I can feel half shutter better on the Subal, second the Nauticam and finally the Aquatica.   

Elmer

Edited by eyu, 04 June 2014 - 03:59 PM.

Nikon D800E, Subal ND800, Inon Z240, ULCS with StiX floats

#68 Gudge

Gudge

Tiger Shark

• Team Wetpixel
  • 537 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:44 PM

I am strongly considering biting the bullet and buying all new ports and switching to Nauticam ......

Why bother buying new ports, just get a Nauticam Subal port adapter and use your Subal ports on a Nauticam housing.  After owning a series of Subal film and digital SLR housings over many years I switched to Nauticam four years ago and am still using my Subal and Zen Subal mount dome ports on my Nauticam housing.

http://reefphoto.com...roducts_id=4481

http://reefphoto.com...roducts_id=4486

Canon 7D, Nauticam NA-7D housing, 2 x Inon Z240, 1 x Inon S2000, Tokina 10-17 & 12-24, Sigma 17-70 Macro, Tokina 35 macro, Canon 60 & 100 macro, Tamron 2X & Kenko 1.X Teleconverters.

#69 diverdoug1

diverdoug1

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Interests:UW photography, Cave diving, Trimix, Spearfishing, Saltwater fishing, Freshwater fishing, Skiing

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:10 AM

Elmer, the Aquatica AD800 DOES allow use of the "DOF" and "FUNCTION" controls.  Are you sure you were comparing the correct housing?

#70 eyu

eyu

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:16 AM

Elmer, the Aquatica AD800 DOES allow use of the "DOF" and "FUNCTION" controls.  Are you sure you were comparing the correct housing?

oops, my mistake..Thx for the correction.

#71 okuma

okuma

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 03:45 PM

In historical order: Ikelite, Aquatica, Subal, Subal, Subal.

The only problem I've had with the Subals is small spots of corrosion due to jamming in into the bottom.

I treat these with clear nailpolish and keep strips of bath tub anti slip material on the bottom.

Underwater Photography:
If it is so easy every one would be doing it!

Nikon D 7000, Subal Housing, Inon Z 240 strobes.

#72 funkyspelunker

funkyspelunker

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:05 PM

Why bother buying new ports, just get a Nauticam Subal port adapter and use your Subal ports on a Nauticam housing.  After owning a series of Subal film and digital SLR housings over many years I switched to Nauticam four years ago and am still using my Subal and Zen Subal mount dome ports on my Nauticam housing.

http://reefphoto.com...roducts_id=4481

http://reefphoto.com...roducts_id=4486

Hi Grudge,

I realize that these adaptors are available, but I would rather just make the complete move. Maybe I'll start with the adaptor until I'm 100% sure that I'm not going back before I get rid of all the ports. 

Eyu, great to know that the Nauticam vacuum seal system can be installed on a Subal and that it works well. I will look into this with my dealer!

#73 eyu

eyu

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:36 AM

Eyu, great to know that the Nauticam vacuum seal system can be installed on a Subal and that it works well. I will look into this with my dealer!

I previously had the Backscatter vacuum system on my Subal, it was without the lights, but worked well.  I switched over since my wife has a Nauticam EM 1 and I wanted to eliminate carrying two different vacuum pumps.  Another system to also look at is the Leak Sentinel.  But the Nauticam is really a very cool installation that was done by Reef Photo