• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 errbrr

errbrr

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:25 PM

I had the internals replaced in a second one of mine last month. Good thing the exchange rate to the yen is favourable at the moment.

Two of my others are playing up on occasion, refusing to do a full dump (the red ready light doesn't even go out). I've found by switching them to sTTL (first click on) I can get a full dump, no pre-flash out of them. After a while I switch back to manual and they work again. It's frustrating, but manageable and from my research I haven't found anything that's going to work better. The weight of the other brands really puts me off, especially when I consider lumping 5 of them into a cave. I look forward to a strobe that runs on lithium.

#22 E_viking

E_viking

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • Interests:UW Photography, Diving,
    Skiing & Mountaineering

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:55 PM

Someweher deep in the Manual should be stated that INON recoemmends to service the strobes every 2 or 3 Years.

I can't remember right now.

/Erik

Nikon D800, Nikon 60, 105, 16-35, Sigma 15, Nauticam D800, Zen 230mm, Subsee +5 & +10, 2*INON Z240

#23 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1600 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:21 PM

Sea Nettle was absolutely right. The magnet on the pre-flash push button was corroded and crumbling. So even when the button was pushed in - it wasn't working.

A big THANKS to Backscatter for helping me problem solve how to remove the button and check if the magnet was the issue, without me having to post the strobe off for servicing. I'm now trying to see if I can buy a new button.

How long did it take for strobe magnet to fail? And do you know if Backscatter has spare parts we can carry with us to field repair?

Joe

Joe Belanger
Author, Catalina Island - All you Need to Know
www.californiaunderwater.com
www.visitingcatalina.com