6 replies to this topic

#1 Yako

Yako

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:02 AM

Hi,

I'm thinking to move to Oly OMD EM5 with a Nauticam housing, and one thing I would like to use is a external straight viewfinder (Inon or Nauticam). I'm been suffering on internet, trying to find any photo of how the VF fit on the housing, and if the LCD screen is covered or not by the VF-

If somebody is using this rig, could be useful if give me their comments and could be great if paste a photo of this rig

Olympus OMD E-M1, Naticam housing, 2x S&S D1, Oly 60mm , 12-50mm & 12-40mm, Pana 8mm & 7-14mm

My Flickr Gallery

#2 edmond320

edmond320

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:04 AM

http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/
You need to order a special back window for viewfinder that can accommodate either Inon or Nauticam viewfinder.
I am using the Nauticam 45 viewfinder, which is very nice !!

Edmond

#3 Jock

Jock

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:20 AM

Yako,

here is a link to a picture of the special back window that Edmond mentioned (I have no connections with this company). At the Photokina here in Germany Mr. Lai from Nauticam demonstrated that this window is easily exchangeable by the user.

As you can see, with this window a certain part of the LCD is blocked when no external viewfinder is mounted.

Jock

http://www.nauticam-...0-Sucher?c=2914

Edited by Jock, 07 November 2012 - 05:20 AM.

---
http://www.dive-images.de
---

Olympus OM-D EM5, Inon Z240 and Nikonos RS, Ikelite SS200

#4 DiveMasterDewey

DiveMasterDewey

Triggerfish

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:Diving, underwater photography, photo-acoustics, RFID, Electronic Article Surveillance

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:47 AM

You change out the rear "LCD window" and replace it with this.

Here is a picture of the Nauticam NA-EM5 with a 45 degree viewfinder that Phil Rudin posted this photo on another board.

Here is a shot he took of the Nauticam NA-NEX7 with 45 degree viewfinder. It is not the EM5, but it will give you another view of the magnifying viewfinder on these small housings.

(Wetpixel would not let me link to the photos here.)

Alan Dewey
Reef Photo & Video
n2theblue at
reefphoto.com

S.D.I. Scuba Instructor

S.D.I. Underwater Photographer Instructor

www.AlanDewey.com

www.AlanDewey.Photography

#5 Cp

Cp

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:03 AM

...external straight viewfinder (Inon or Nauticam)...

Just to clarify this part of your question, yes, with the LCD window changeout (which is pretty easily done and requires no tools) you can then use our 180º VF. You could use the Inon as well, but it would require an adapter or conversion to the Nauticam format.

Regards,
Cp

Chris Parsons
Nauticam USA / Zen Underwater
innovation at nauticamusa
www.nauticamusa.com
954-489-8678

#6 Yako

Yako

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:18 AM

Thank you all for your answers.

Now it's clear that is mandatory to change the LCD window.

Seeing the housing with 45ºVF of Edmond's photo, It`s appears that you loose the whole view of the LCD window with this VF. It's is correct?

Any photo of Nauticam 180ºVF installed in the EM5 housing ? Same effect in the LCD window?

Olympus OMD E-M1, Naticam housing, 2x S&S D1, Oly 60mm , 12-50mm & 12-40mm, Pana 8mm & 7-14mm

My Flickr Gallery

#7 guyharrisonphoto

guyharrisonphoto

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:Macro, big critters, coral reefs, kelp, I love it all!

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:42 AM

I purchased this same set-up from Reef, using the 45 degree finder. First off, I HIGHLY recommend it. The standard Nauty finder is OK and useable, but the external finder is like going to the moview by comparison.

It does cover the LCD screen a little, but, once you use it, you will not be using the screen. I have done two dives and shot 200 images and videos, and not once have I felt the need to look at the LCD screen. Remember that the EVF can show you all the settings so even if you have to go change a setting in a menu there is no need to use the screen. I believe that, because of the more compact dimensions of the EM5 housing (ie the viewfinder is close to the ldc screen) that even the straight finder will also block the screen somewhat.

You might want to consider the 45 degree unless you already have the straight finder. The EM5 housing is very compact, such that using the 45 degree finder is no effort at all as you are not moving a huge bulky housing underneath you. It's hard to describe but very evident in use. I have no issue using the 45 for wide angle shots. For macro, it is far superior to the streaight finder as you can have the camera below you and stay off the bottom.