The hazards of wet lenses (Bonaire)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 allen

allen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Interests:I spend most of my time alpine climbing, hiking, mtn. biking, or skiing. When I can get away it is to travel for climbing or diving. Been doing this nonsense for way too long to do anything different.

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:23 PM

So I am in Bonaire for a week of diving. We do our check out dive and and couple of other dives the first day. That evening I get my camera gear set up. I am going to get my UK Germany LX5 housing wet for the first time since Uwe sent me a wet lens for it. We do the first dive and I take a few photos. As I enter the water for the second dive I wake the camera up and I see a water line in housing!!!! Ahhhh!! I swim like hell back to shore all the while watching the water line and waiting for the camera to die. Just as I reach shore I notice that the camera has not died. What the hell?? I look at the front and see water in the lens. Then it becomes clear - literally and figuratively. The wet lens was filling with water :-)))). I laugh at myself and then explain to my dive partners my irrational behavior as I swim back out.

I will up load a few photos for folks to critique here soon. In the mean time please laugh at my anticts :-).

#2 SPP

SPP

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:22 PM

With flip diopter, u won't get any air bubbles, as long as u flip the wet lens when u are already in water

#3 MortenHansen

MortenHansen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:25 AM

hehe, that's gotta cost you a beer or two..

Happy that it didn't flood though!

-Morten

#4 DiverPam

DiverPam

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:46 PM

LOL...more than a few of us on here would probably be swimming as fast as we could for shore if we saw water. Thanks for sharing - DiverPam

Nikon D90 in Aquatica Housing, Tokina 10-17mm, 60mm macro, 105mm macro, Sigma 17-70mm, + Ikelite DS 161 and DS-125 strobe combo  www.flickr.com/photos/pammurph/

The Fin Foundation