2 replies to this topic

#1 Glasseye Snapper

Glasseye Snapper

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • Interests:Fish ID & behaviour and photos thereof

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:24 AM

I want to head back to the Red Sea next Summer and am looking for places with a good house reef, unlimited shore diving and affordable diver-oriented accommodations. I have been to Marsa Shagra twice because it fits the bill perfectly but am interested to explore more Northern areas for a change. I have been in Safaga and liked the diving but that dive shop (Nemo Divers), and I believe most others, did not have real shore diving. I just found out about El Naga (http://www.sharmelnaga.com/). They are located just North and on the edge of the Safaga diving area, with unlimited shore diving packages that include two guided zodiak dives. Their house reef is supposed to be the best in the region and accommodations seem to be less basic than Marsa Shagra at similar or lower cost.

I was hoping some of you have been to Sharm El Naga and can let me know how the diving and dive operation was. I hear they get tour groups from Hurghada to go snorkeling. Reviews don't mention that being a problem but again any input is appreciated.

Other tips for places with unlimited Red Sea diving and a good house reef are welcome too.

Bart
Olympus OM-D EM5/Nauticam, 12-50mm & 60mm macro
Sea&Sea 110a, iTorch, GoPro3 BE

#2 ChasO2

ChasO2

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:25 AM

It going back a couple of years but Nuweiba, South Sinai, was great for unlimited shore diving particularly with Scuba-College - Diving Camp Nuweiba where it was a 1 min or less walk to the sea from the dive centre, and they also had a RIB for more distant sites. African Divers Nuweiba didn't have a house reef (too shallow just in front) but were going to introduce unlimited diving. Emperor Divers, at Coral Hilton Nuweiba had unlimited shore diving but sadly have now pulled out. I don't know if anyone else has yet taken over their dive shop. Maybe worth checking out if you want that far north. It is a bit isolated and I don't know how the current situation in Egypt is affecting the town.

Charles

#3 Glasseye Snapper

Glasseye Snapper

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • Interests:Fish ID & behaviour and photos thereof

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:15 AM

Thanks Charles,

By now my trip to El-Naga has been booked but I have been making biannual Red Sea trips coinciding with a family visit in Europe. So next time around I may go up even farther north to the places you point out. Jordan also looked interesting but from my reading it appears they don't allow shore diving without guide :(

Bart
Olympus OM-D EM5/Nauticam, 12-50mm & 60mm macro
Sea&Sea 110a, iTorch, GoPro3 BE