• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Binford23

Binford23

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:55 PM

Hello! I will be staying in the maldives for a week in January, but have two questions:

1. We are staying at a resort. They have a fully functioning dive center, but I was wondering, are we limited to using the hotel's dive boat/tours? Or are there other independent dive shops that will do a pickup?

2. Any recommendations for dive sites, particular in North Male Atoll?

Thank you in advance.

#2 pooley

pooley

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:34 PM

There may be an exception to the rule somewhere, but I would suggest that you will be 'limited' to the islands own dive centre. What resort are you staying at? That will have a bearing on what sites are available, as will the monsoon season you are going in. If its January, then you'll be in the North East monsoon season, and I would imagine the dive centre will be all geared up on where to search for manta's etc, or will be able to suggest suitable sites if macro is your thing.

#3 Scubysnaps

Scubysnaps

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, Aprilia RSVR, VW Vans! www.scubysnaps.com

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:48 PM

1. You are not, but why would you want to go with anyone else? They will take you wherever someone else would. No there are not, unless you know them personally.

2. Manta Point!? Plenty of Mmantas there in January.

Dive sites will be offered on the board generally 2 days in advance, special trips, a bit more notice, you just put your name on which site you want. The dive guides dont generally favour one site to another, I've found this seems to be part of their job not to favour one to the other so theyre not left with an empty boat or a rammed full one going to the same place all the time

Just relax, have a good time, and go with the flow :)
Cheers
Paul

*Nikon D90 with Tokina 10-17 & Nikon 60mm, 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Kenko1.4 * 2 x Z240 & 2 x 12 litres...global! *

www.scubysnaps.com >)))>

#4 Binford23

Binford23

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:45 PM

Ah, thank you very much for the suggestions/comments. Looking forward to the trip!

#5 bear35

bear35

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:29 AM

As the above, they will take you to the same places any other dive center would.
Enjoy!