• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tidalstream1

Tidalstream1

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:44 AM

New to the underwater photographic side & Just looking to acquire a package based around a 5D Mk 11 and an Aquatica housing & all the other bits that go with it such as domes,ports,arms,strobes - not sure where the list ends !!

But a question on the focusing arrangements for lenses on the Canon 16-35, I don't quite understand if I really need manual focusing gearing is this a necessity?

Thanks in advance for replies......

#2 Damo

Damo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Interests:Getting close to underwater aliens- and pulling the camera trigger

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:50 AM

Hi Tidal,

Long answer to answer your question: Your 16-35mm lens is classed as a zoom lens. You have a great compositional tool in that you can zoom in and out underwater, and therefore you have more options to play with re: field of view, composition, sunbject selection etc. on a given dive.
if you want the ability to be able to zoom your lens underwater thro' the focal lengths of 16-35mm you will need a manual focus gear.

Otherwise, be prepared to use your 16-35mm lens at one fixed focal lens every time you dive with it.
i.e. you fix it at , say, 16mm- put it in your housing- and it stays at 16mm for the entire dive.
If you are prepared to do this, it kinda defeats the purpose of taking your 16-35mm lens underwater in the first place! :-)

Short answer: With a zoom lens, yes.

Hope this helps :-)

Edited by Damo, 14 November 2012 - 01:51 AM.

Nikon D200- Sea and Sea DX-D200, YS-90 Auto/Duo strobes: Nikon 60mm/105mm macro : Sigma 10-20mm wide, now also with added Tokina 10-17mm power.

'All animals are equal, tho' some animals are more equal than others.'-Comrade Napoleon

'If wishes were fishes, we'd all cast nets'- Gurney Halleck

Visit My Flickr Website

#3 Tidalstream1

Tidalstream1

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:01 AM

Ah that makes a lot of sense now ! many thanks for your reply Manta - & some quality images on your photo stream, very impressive. Your macro shots would be the type of shots that interest me,although I guess its spotting the little critters initially!

Ive been in the Philippines nearly 2yrs now & know that i'm missing so much by not taking advantage of an amazing underwater realm here.

thanks once again :-)

#4 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2135 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:45 AM

It's a zoom gear, not a focus gear (they fit to different parts of the lens) that you need. Using both can be a struggle in many housings.