Photo
- - - - -

Walindi, Febrina and Loloata in Christmas? Is it too bad to go then?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 davichin

davichin

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1104 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:44 AM

Hello!

I just won in a photography competition a three week diving trip for two, including flights from Singapur, to Loloata, Walindi and Febrina. As like mostly everybody, I don´t have endless holydays, so the best time for me would be Christmas time as we have holydays then and I would spend less of my vacation days on the trip. My doubts are that, first of all, Febrina ends its 2013 trips on december 24 and I don´t find many people going to PNG on that time of the year, which seem to be negative facts...

Is that a no-no time to go to PNG due to low visibility and/or bad weather? I would choose spending more of my vacation days in another month (say august etc...) if it was the case. If so, which would be the best time of the for a trip like that?

Thank you very much in advance!

P.S: Please PM me if you feel more comfortable about anything you consider important or interesting about this topic or the involved operators (of which I have read good reports).
D300, D7000. 10.5, 10-17, 16, 10-20, 17-70, 60, 105, 150 Hugyfots, Subtronic Novas, Seacams 350, YS250s, YS-D1s
Aqualung Team
www.davidbarrio.com

#2 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10595 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:10 PM

Dec-Mar is the rainy season for the islands, but I suspect it's also their time to do maintenance and holidays. The water temp is usually warmer as well during this time. The water is coldest during Jul-Sep,which are also usually the coolest months as well. I found more rhinopia and other colder water critters and pelagics during these months in places like New Britain and Ireland, as well as the POM area. The only places that's more variable is the Milne Bay/Alotau area. I had some awesome dives in Nov-Jan, even though the water was warmer, but it didn't rain as much so the viz was good and the sea/fresh water mix areas like Bunama were kicking with life.
For the Febrina, I would try do the Fathers Reef/Witu itinerary. Great variety of sites and good viz. The POM area is definitely better during Aug/Sep, when the water is coldest and weather driest.
And since you have a spare seat, FYI I'm free in Sep but not Aug/Oct in 2013! LOL

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#3 davichin

davichin

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1104 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:36 AM

Thank you very much, Drew! I guess it will have to be aug-sept...

You will have to fight Luisa for that spare seat! Posted Image
D300, D7000. 10.5, 10-17, 16, 10-20, 17-70, 60, 105, 150 Hugyfots, Subtronic Novas, Seacams 350, YS250s, YS-D1s
Aqualung Team
www.davidbarrio.com

#4 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10595 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:45 AM

The Hagen Sing Sing is in Aug too. I think for anyone to go to PNG in Aug and not do the show is missing out! In fact, if it were up to me, I'd skip Walindi or Loloata for the 3 nights to do the show. If you go in Sep, the Goroka show is as good if smaller. Unlike those guidebooks for PNG, you don't need to get guided tours. Just watch yourselves on the eve of the shows. I've had tribesman try to rob me (although they weren't very good at it!). I would do the shows first then go diving. The elevation for Mt Hagen is at least 1500m.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#5 davichin

davichin

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1104 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:17 AM

We are looking at going around Aug15-Sept9 or so... How is the Walindi - Loloata transfer? is it possible to do it daily or is just available some days a week?
Aqualung Team
www.davidbarrio.com