• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 uwxplorer

uwxplorer

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:07 PM

I am experimenting with a Nexus 7 (16 GB) and exploring what can and can´t be done with it.
Well posting with it, for instance, is far from easy for me... tapatalk anyone?
This aside, I had great hopes as far as visualizing raw videos, in particular from my gopro, since I don´t have any display for it (or a wifi bacpac for that matter, although this would not help in the absence of an android version of gopro´s remote control software... available soon!)
I purchased a USB-to-go cable, the Nexus media importer app and tried to communicate with the gopro. The good news is that it works! The bad news is that playback is choppy. Yes, I am used to that, since I am using Adobe Premiere on a Mac, but I am not talking about editing here, merely playback.
I verified that this is not a connection issue, since copying the files to the N7 doesn't help. I tried different players (Android default, VPlayer, BSPlayer), but all struggle, whichever mode I try.
Now, I am talking about 1080p protune footage, so it is not particularly light, but still, I was hopping that the latest and greatest from Google would do it.
The same happened with my Sony CX550V and its 1080i 25mbps .mts footage. Actually I was quite pleased to find a player to play those (something my iMac is not capable of doing... are you listening Steve?). But here again, streaming or after copy, playback was choppy.
Does anybody have a different experience or maybe some advice?

#2 uwxplorer

uwxplorer

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:26 PM

Short update after some more exploring...
There is no shortage of video players on Android market, most of them having a free version (the others are, in a rather non intrusive way, ad-supported). I tried two more (BS Player and MX Player), which brought me closer to the intended goal.
Both deliver smooth playback of the 25 Mbps mts files of my Sony CX550V, provided I select the harware decoding mode (which did not work on the other I tested). MX Player even has an "enhanced" HW mode, which means it uses optimization for multicore processors (like the one the Nexus is equipped with).
Now, that's sweet: I can preview (and show!) my freshly shot clips by hooking up my camcorder to my Nexus, no download needed (which is a good thing, as I have only about 11 GB left on the Nexus).
Unfortunately, either because the developers haven't optimized the HW decoder enough or because I am hitting the number crunching limits of the Nexus' Tegra 3, smooth playback lasts only a few seconds when I connect the GoPro and try to play one of the Protune 35 Mbps mp4 clips stored on it... The rest of the time, there is some stuttering, which is annoying but definitely not as bad as with the other players. And I would certainly be willing to check clips from my GoPro this way since I do not have any LCD display attached to it.
The good news is, that if I end up satisfied shooting using the default 15 Mbps GoPro codec, playback is smooth as butter.
So finally, I am far from being disappointed after all, although it took me a good deal of trial and error (and I am still hoping for better) to get there.
I hope this can help someone out there.

#3 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:47 AM

You do know that 35mbps ProTune MPEG4 is a very hard codec to play.
25mbps Mts is easy as for most computers.
I just put a 35mbps Protune file on my Samsung Galaxy S3 phone and it plays it no problems :-)
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#4 uwxplorer

uwxplorer

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:27 AM

Sounds great. What player are you using?
Based on the published specs, they seem to have the same processor:
http://en.wikipedia....ng_Galaxy_S_III
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nexus_7
I'll try to copy a clip on the Nexus 7 and see whether that changes anything to the playback. However that is not my intended use, especially when I use the GoPro in "set and forget" mode, where I end up with several 2GB continuous segments per dive (the SD card is formatted in FAT32, which does not support files larger than 2GB).

#5 uwxplorer

uwxplorer

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:48 PM

Playing the file after saving it on the Nexus barely helps. It plays smoothly for a few more seconds, but drops frames after a while.
The blurb on the MX Player website comments on how similar hardware specs might result in vastly different performance, due to differences in chipset, etc:

To decode a video using H/W decoder, following conditions should match:

• Video decoding chipset (H/W) should support requested codec and profile.
  • Video decoding middleware should be able to handle requested codec. This middleware is a system software typically provided by device manufacturers, ROM builders, or Google Android team.
  • Demuxer (file extractor) should be able to read and parse requested video file (mkv, avi, flv, etc.)
Which means; even with same H/W or same firmware, supported video formats may differ.

I am not sure how that fits with the H/W+ mode using multicore...

#6 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:02 PM

I just used the standard Android player on the phone.
Maybe the S3 has a better graphics setup.
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au