• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MrMagica

MrMagica

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:34 AM

Hi all, brought a used S&S YS-01 off these boards, was a bit expensive for me at the moment but figured it would be worth it in the long run for my Asian travels...

However the strobe doesn't seem to fire!

I'm using the EPL2, the YS-01 is showing red for ready when ON. It's loading the flash (whine noise). It's clearly picking up it should be firing, as in TTL mode it goes from red, to green when the cameras flash fires and back to red - but their is no output from the flash unit.

I have tried this in Both ON and TTL mode. Definitely have the camera flash set correctly, have used a friends YS-01 before with no problems. Used both optical cable and direct face to face.
I have spoke to Sea & Sea who double checked I'd done everything correctly, they believe it must be faulty as everything shows it should be firing.

Ok I uploaded a little video... any suggestions appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni01L5oz1Ro&feature=plcp

#2 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1533 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:22 PM

I will bet you two nickels (twice my normal bet) that your fiber optic is at fault. Try it with an Inon/S&S Fiber and I suspect it will work. The S&S optical sensor is extremely insensitive and I have seen this often with non-optimal fibers. Does is fire if you fire the flash from the camera directly into the strobe (without the housing involved)

Bill

Edited by bvanant, 15 November 2012 - 04:23 PM.

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#3 Lwang

Lwang

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:29 PM

If you fire in manual, does the capacitor drain or is the strobe always fully charged? Either way, it seems to be hozed.

#4 MrMagica

MrMagica

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:59 AM

Bill: The flash isn't firing with the camera pointed directly at the camera, I did try 2 optic cords, and while the YS-01 light showed TTL has been triggered (green to red) their is no output.

Lwang: The capacitor charges once switched ON. However it doesn't ever discharge.

Shame I was really looking forwards to using a propler flash!

Edited by MrMagica, 16 November 2012 - 03:59 AM.

#5 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1533 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:30 PM

Send it to S&S and have them fix it.
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#6 Lwang

Lwang

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:47 PM

Why send it to Sea & Sea when they are going to charge you money to fix it. Send it back to the original seller who sold you a defective product.

#7 MrMagica

MrMagica

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:25 AM

it's since gone back.... thanks for replies.

#8 Lwang

Lwang

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:16 PM

gone back to sea&sea or the original seller?