7 replies to this topic

#1 ATJ

ATJ

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Photograph, Marine Biology

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:40 PM

I need some help identifying this cute little fella...

Posted Image

Taken at a site called "Torpedo Alley" off Rinca Island, Indoensia at night at a depth of around 13 metres on sand. It appears to have a polychaete living on its carapace.

#2 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1177 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:47 PM

How about the "Make my Day" crab? No clue, sorry.
Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. ~Carl Zwanzig

#3 Leslie

Leslie

Worm Girl

• Critter Expert
  • 1816 posts
  • Interests:marine inverts (especially polychaetes), micro- and macrophotography

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:39 AM

Hi Andrew -- It's something in the family Xanthidae or one of the families split off from it. There are hundreds of these little crabs & hard to id even with full body photos, sorry. But that polychaete hat is fabulous! I wish I had one so fetching.

#4 JKrumsick

JKrumsick

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Philosophy, various libations, light hearted debauchery, Chromatophores and the occasional tupperware party.

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:34 PM

Love the worm on his head!

Ugh... I sold my u/w gear and just looking at this little crab makes me miss diving and U/W photography so much!!!

Of course along with that I thank my lucky stars I was privileged enough to take some shots underwater... but the act of it is so much more than looking at photos... I just miss being underwater will little guys like this...

You can have your fancy parties with interesting people spouting shit out of their mouths... I would take a night underwater with this guy any day.

Sorry for the rant... I just miss the water...

#5 Leslie

Leslie

Worm Girl

• Critter Expert
  • 1816 posts
  • Interests:marine inverts (especially polychaetes), micro- and macrophotography

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:47 AM

Sorry to hear that!

#6 ATJ

ATJ

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:18 PM

Jeremy, I really feel for you. I love diving and taking photos so much I hate it if I can't go for at least one dive on a weekend.

Thanks, Leslie. I didn't notice the polychaete until looking at the photos. I have poor close vision (I'm an old fart) and frequently find gems like this after the dive. This particular dive I had a number of such suprises.

There was this crab holding a sand dollar on its back. I had just assumed it was a flat-top crab until looking at the photo:
Posted Image
Posted Image

A spider crab with hydroids (I saw the crab but not the hydroids):
Posted Image

A dwarf lionfish with a copepod parasite on its eye:
Posted Image

And then there were the crabs carrying upside-down jellyfish on their backs:
Posted Image

(Sorry, Jeremy if make you miss UW photography more.)

#7 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1983 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:25 PM

I have poor close vision (I'm an old fart)...

Andrew, why not get yourself prescription lenses for your mask? Subject discussed in depth here. I have a Technisub Look 2 with small bifocal lenses, but I'm going to try the company Peter mentioned in the last post of the thread.

#8 ATJ

ATJ

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:00 PM

Andrew, why not get yourself prescription lenses for your mask? Subject discussed in depth here. I have a Technisub Look 2 with small bifocal lenses, but I'm going to try the company Peter mentioned in the last post of the thread.

Thanks, Nick. I do - well sort of. I have a Tusa Geminus mask with bifocal +2.5 diopters. Makes a huge difference, especially when shooting video with my D7000, however, I still miss a lot of the detail on small critters. Although I did "see" some pygmy seahorses in Komodo in August for the first time (other than seeing them through the viewfinder).

Note that I am still able to find lots of cool stuff, I just don't get the full enjoyment until reviewing the photos later.