#181 Marcos Melo

Marcos Melo

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:water

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:19 PM

Hi Marcos

I've had the PMW200 / Gates since March this year and so far it has been used for 3 stock trips and a 3-4 month shoot for a 60 min broadcast documentary.  

The quality is superb straight out of the camera with no external recorders required and the Gates housing is wonderful to use.  The only slight issue I have had with it for underwater use is that the PMW200 does not have component out for the external monitor so if like me you had a EM43 monitor from a previous housing then you'll only get a low res image displaying on it.   Gates now have a high res HDMI monitor,  but I've not had an opportunity to use that personally.  

It is extremely difficult to say anything other than wonderful things about Gates.  There is a very good reason why the whole broadcast industry relies on them and the PMW200 is a cracking camera.  Unless anything remarkable and affordable happens in the immediate future with 4K then I'd say it is a great choice.  Hope this helps!

Cheers, Simon

Thank you very much, Simon.

#182 Marcos Melo

Marcos Melo

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:48 AM

OK. After lots of dives and tests, I came up with a setup for FS100 underwater that I´d like to share. Maybe I help somebody out there:

Shooting with Natural Light (in blue water):

Black Level 0

Gamma ITU

Color Mode Cine2 / Level 2

Color Level 0

Color Depth 0

WB Shift filter LB-CC LB +9 CC+9 R+9

Detail +2

Shooting with artificial light (in blue water):

Black Level 0

Gamma STD

Color Mode STD / Level 2

Color Level -2

Color Depth 0

WB Shift 0

Detail 0

Very important: adjust IRIS correctly. Too opened, greenish tone. Too closed, deep blue but dark appearance. Always use Zebra 100%. Of course, adjust WB.

Salut.

Marcos

#183 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10595 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:23 PM

Hi Marcos

Thanks for that. Do you have any unedited captures you can post?  Also is that color ring  in the image an issue for you?

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#184 Marcos Melo

Marcos Melo

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 05:07 AM

Hi, Drew.

The color ring appears in wide angle shots. Unfortunatelly, this issue is very real for me. I don´t like it, of course. And, yes, I have unedited captures that I´ll post later. FS100 is wonderful above water. What I intend to do is: Genesis+FS100 underwater with artificial light (macro). WA = PMW-200.

#185 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10595 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:24 AM

Thanks for the clarification, Marcos.  Look forward to the images.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#186 Marcos Melo

Marcos Melo

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:19 PM

Drew, I´d like to know how to upload a video... Is there any tutorial for dummies?

#187 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1378 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:14 PM

Marcos, you can just paste a link to You Tube, Vimeo etc and it will embed in the forum now.

#188 mmccue

mmccue

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:43 PM

I just returned from a trip to Palau, and I was able to experiment a bit more with the FS100/Genesis setup. I think that at least a big part of the color reproduction issues, as well as the rings and halo effects, are due to problems within the 16mm pancake lens. I left that lens in my bag this trip, and decided to try the stock 18-55mm e mount lens with an equinox blue water color correction filter. I was very happy with the results. I'm now convinced that with a decent lens, the right filer, a few tweaks to the picture profile, and adding a housing for my Ninja2 deck, it is possible to consistantly get very good quality images with this rig.

I just posted a few unedited clips on vimeo....

I tried to pick clips with more color, so these are not neccesarily my best shots. All of the clips I've posted were shot with natural light, at depths between 40 and 80 feet, with the 18-55mm lens, and equinox filter. I did manual white balance on a white slate with exsisting light at around 20 feet on my way down (with no further adjustments), or in some cases I was able to get a decent manual white balance using my 2 sola 1200 lights on the white slate, and then switching the lights off. I set the gain to 9db on some of the deeper shots, which doesn't seem to have any noticeable ill effects (to me anyway). I also saw no signs of the halos or rings. Proper exposure is definitely neccesary, although I personally like the look of the slightly underexposed shots. There seems to be planty of detail left, so I'm sure bumping them up in post a bit will result in a good look.

I hope there are still others that still haven't given up on this camera for underwater use. It will be a while before I can afford another set up, and my next camera will undoubtably be a 4k model. Please keep posting your experiences.

Mike McCue

• r4e likes this

#189 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1299 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:33 PM

Best FS100 u/w images I have seen

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sony FS100, Amphibico Genesis, White Balance