Sony FS100 Amphibico Genesis White Balance

• Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

#121 peterbkk

peterbkk

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, Photographry Underwater Video.

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:13 AM

Aliens live in the sea....LOL

I doubt if it was an alien. Applying Occam's razor, the simplest explanation of what you saw was mermaids...

#122 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Interests:Lots. I take things apart, modify things and make things.

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:29 AM

School bus size Mermaids ...unlikely.

I probably imagined it......I remembered taken Sudafed for my blocked nose. 

"Common side effects of Sudafed include nervousness, restlessness, excitability, dizziness, headache, fear, anxiety, tremors, hallucinations, and convulsions (seizures)."

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

Email: info@scubacam.com.sg

http://www.scubacam.com.sg/

#123 peterbkk

peterbkk

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:52 AM

School bus size Mermaids ...unlikely.

Haven't you ever watched The Little Mermaid? There's one mermaid called Ursula who is huge...

#124 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:45 AM

Heh heh. I think this discussion has degenerated somewhat......

The Little Mermaid is a cartoon. Its not real. Like my sighting. Its all in the imagination.

Okay back on topic.

I have had other discussion regarding sensor colour casts/ halos, ghosting etc elsewhere. The S35 mm sensor magenta problem is not as uncommon as one might think. A group of UW shooters is now scratching their heads together to pin point the problem. Its does not manifest in  all situations but every now and then the footage buggers up. They are working together with a very well known manufacturer of very high res video camera to try and find the problem and solve it. So far it could be IR or the Low Pass Filter in combo with the colour science software that could be the culprit. There are too many variables. In fact the contradicting thing is that this particular S35 sensor and color processing works better in lower visibility water. The Magenta tends to appear more on crystal clear water. 

If there is a fix then it may shed some light on why both FS100 and FS700 failed in UW when it performs so well above it.

Cheers

David

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

#125 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1389 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:31 PM

"Hey, I shoot 20-30% underwater. Of that, the issue creeps up in unlit wide scenes mostly. The FS700 has the 240fps full HD, 4k RAW possible and great noise control. For the price, there's nothing out there that beats it, even with the noise floors!"

If it was just the Halos Drew I'd agree, but as we've talked about on here the Halos are just the tip of the iceburg of problems that the FS100 faces when used underwater.  Also it is definitely not just isolated to that lens as the Halos have been reproduced with other lenses, although personally I've never witnessed it when using non E mount lenses.  The next time the Halos appear I'll be sure to throw on all the lenses in the bag to see which ones are causing the problem.

I use the FS100 all the time topside.  It does have a tendancy to sometimes super saturate in low light and I believe that this is connected to most of the issues but other than that it is a wonderful camera topside.   Just a shame I had to spend $x,000 on a housing to find out that I'd been better off with a GoPro1 underwater!!

Cheers, Simon

Edited by SimonSpear, 27 June 2013 - 01:31 PM.

#126 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1389 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:35 PM

David I'm traveling more or less non stop for the next few weeks but I'll try to dig out the footage when I get home. that is as long as the MiB's have not seized the footage!  It was very strange and not at all like a shooting star, but it probably has a mundane explanation (although I heard today that there was apparently a UFO spotted that night just up the coast!).

The Truth Is Out There.

#127 Marcos Melo

Marcos Melo

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:water

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:28 AM

It´s been almost one year that I´ve been shooting with Amphibico Genesis+Sony FS100. Due to my deception about the performance underwater, I´ve been googling a lot in order to find out something to rest my mind. But no. Only deceptions about FS100 underwater.

I can say that I dove in different waters like Turks&Caicos, Palau, Sulawesi, Thailand. I can say I spent a whole week diving 4 times a day rested on the sand shooting the same spot over and over again, changing every single configuration about WB, Picture Profile, aperture, etc etc. And I have never got good images underwater with ambient light.

I managed to set up a picture profile for ambient light and another for artificial light. I can´t complain about the images underwater using my LMI Sola 2000. Macro footage is good. The problem is always with ambient light.

The deception comes more heavily when you see a footage from a consumer canon camcorder and compares to the FS100 underwater…

This thread has a lot of helpful info and I´d like to thank all of you guys who shared it.

What I can say now is that I´m moving to Red Scarlet-X, probably. But all the money that I spent with Genesis+FS100 was gone for nothing. I don´t know if Sony is doing some research to update the firmware to solve the color separation etc. I hope so.

In the first day shooting in Sulawesi, the Genesis left grip button came out and I couldn´t shoot almost anything. Now I sent it to Amphibico to repair, but I really want to sell this equipment and go for another rig.

#128 peterbkk

peterbkk

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:42 AM

Now I sent it to Amphibico to repair, but I really want to sell this equipment and go for another rig.[/font][/size]

You might be able to sell the camera to someone who does not shoot underwater but selling that housing will be a challenge, given the underwater performance of the FS100.

#129 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1389 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:49 AM

I've been trying to sell my Genesis FS100 housing for quite a few months now with little interest. I did get one silly offer, but decided that I'd rather sell it for scrap that accept that offer! I mean a few kg of aluminium must be worth something right?? :(

#130 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:46 AM

(What I can say now is that I´m moving to Red Scarlet-X, probably. But all the money that I spent with Genesis+FS100 was gone for nothing. I don´t know if Sony is doing some research to update the firmware to solve the color separation etc. I hope so.
In the first day shooting in Sulawesi, the Genesis left grip button came out and I couldn´t shoot almost anything. Now I sent it to Amphibico to repair, but I really want to sell this equipment and go for another rig.)

Hi Marcos

If you don't mind the bulk and weight the Red One MX could be another option. Plenty of used gear but in good condition. Quite a few Red One MX and housings around and prices are less than half or quarter of what it was first launched. Still a good 4.5K cinema camera capable of 100fps at 2K. Can't do that with Scarlet. Although the Red Scarlet  X does have an upgrade path to Scarlet Dragon. If that is anything like the Epic Dragon.... well we don't know yet.

Good luck with your choices.

regards
David

Edited by CheungyDiver, 19 August 2013 - 09:47 AM.

#131 r4e

r4e

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:29 AM

I've been trying to sell my Genesis FS100 housing for quite a few months now with little interest. I did get one silly offer, but decided that I'd rather sell it for scrap that accept that offer! I mean a few kg of aluminium must be worth something right?? :(

This thread has made me so curious that I am willing to pay *double* the aluminium price for the lot, atleast the complete Genesis housing, with or without camera, with or without lenses, with or without domes, plus full P&P. PM me if you are interested.

vimeo.com/r4e

http://www.cerella.fi for the Underwater Photographer and Videographer

#132 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1389 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:22 PM

This thread has made me so curious that I am willing to pay *double* the aluminium price for the lot, atleast the complete Genesis housing, with or without camera, with or without lenses, with or without domes, plus full P&P. PM me if you are interested.

:D

#133 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10637 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:03 PM

I'm not feeling the love for the FS100 right about now. LOL

I'm still very curious as to what would cause that ring effect, a real conundrum.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#134 peterbkk

peterbkk

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:19 PM

I'm still very curious as to what would cause that ring effect, a real conundrum.

If it could be fixed in firmware, we'd have probably seen a fix by now. So it's probably physical.

Most likely some weird light reflection or refraction in the space between the lens and the sensor that's only obvious with certain lenses, specific color spectrums and light intensity. Maybe something to do with light that is rich in green / blues.

We may never know because Sony will never confess...

Regards
Peter

#135 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10637 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:06 PM

That's why I wanna know... because I can never know! LOL

I think Sony won't fix what they can't replicate in a lab.  And this issue isn't easily reproducible.  It could also be they don't think it's an issue that's widespread enough to warrant a fix. 

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#136 peterbkk

peterbkk

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:11 PM

I'm sure that Sony are not losing any sleep, but, if for one, will not buy another Sony video camera until they sort out their problems.

#137 thani

thani

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:Water

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:28 PM

My understanding is tha the Genisis relys on LANC to control the camera. If so and you don't find the price you are asking for, you could wait for the future LANC driven Sony -maybe other compatable cams- to use the housing.
The other option, hence the Genisis is a nicely sculptured housing, you could use it as part of your office furniture. Seriously.
Best Regards,
Thani

#138 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10637 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:38 PM

Thani, obviously, you are a gear geek interior designer! :)

Drew

#139 thani

thani

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:Water

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:57 PM

Thani, obviously, you are a gear geek interior designer! :)

The Genesis is a statement :)
Best Regards,
Thani

#140 peterbkk

peterbkk

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:32 PM

The Genesis might make a very nice pot plant or a flower vase.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sony FS100, Amphibico Genesis, White Balance