• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dvleemin

dvleemin

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:22 AM

I have a Nikon 60mm f/2.8 lens - note that it is not the 'D' version. The lens is in great shape optically but because it is an older model I was looking into replacing it. I'll be shooting it in a D7000, and I shoot manual mode.

Based on the research I've done so far, there doesn't seem to be much of a benefit to upgrading.

Upgrade to Nikon 60mm f/2.8D:
  • According to Rockwell (http://www.kenrockwe...ikortek.htm#afd) it would see that the only benefit to the D is helping the camera choose the correct exposure. If I'm shooting manual, that shouldn't matter, correct?
Upgrade to Nikon 60mm f/2.8AF-S:
  • I don't need to auto focus in the lens because I have a D7000 so no benefit.

I would appreciate people's thoughts.

Darryl

#2 kmsellin

kmsellin

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:43 AM

I have a Nikon 60mm f/2.8 lens - note that it is not the 'D' version. The lens is in great shape optically but because it is an older model I was looking into replacing it. I'll be shooting it in a D7000, and I shoot manual mode.

Based on the research I've done so far, there doesn't seem to be much of a benefit to upgrading.

Upgrade to Nikon 60mm f/2.8D:

• According to Rockwell (http://www.kenrockwe...ikortek.htm#afd) it would see that the only benefit to the D is helping the camera choose the correct exposure. If I'm shooting manual, that shouldn't matter, correct?
Upgrade to Nikon 60mm f/2.8AF-S:
  • I don't need to auto focus in the lens because I have a D7000 so no benefit.
I would appreciate people's thoughts.

Darryl

Hi,

I would go for Upgrade to Nikon 60mm f/2.8D. That one works good with Kenko 2x 300 PRO telekonverter. Really nice setup that I loved with my D300s. The Nikon 60mm f/2.8AF-S don´t focus with kenko telekonverter 2x. And it also feels more plastic than the Nikon 60mm f/2.8D.

#3 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8366 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:49 AM

I have both. I was very happy with the 60mm AF-D (in fact I had two at one point), until that (b**tard) Davichin let me borrow his AF-S quite a few years ago now (David, that was a long time ago!). I much prefer the look of the images from the newer lens and when I have to use the older lens now (my prime camera gear sometimes is in a different country from me) I don't like everything about the older lens anymore.

But I am picky - both are very good lenses and if you own one already, it is very hard to justify the upgrade cost.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).

#4 dvleemin

dvleemin

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:47 PM

Hi,

I would go for Upgrade to Nikon 60mm f/2.8D. That one works good with Kenko 2x 300 PRO telekonverter. Really nice setup that I loved with my D300s. The Nikon 60mm f/2.8AF-S don´t focus with kenko telekonverter 2x. And it also feels more plastic than the Nikon 60mm f/2.8D.

Have you tried the teleconverter with the non D 2.8? I'm not sure why it couldn't work with it.

#5 davichin

davichin

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1104 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:54 PM

I have both. I was very happy with the 60mm AF-D (in fact I had two at one point), until that (b**tard) Davichin let me borrow his AF-S quite a few years ago now

My bad!Posted Image

I still have both too. If you shoot a lot and you like 60mm then I would get the 60mm AFS since it focuses much faster (I would also keep the older as you will not get much money for it and you can use it with TCs...) I would also consider the new 40mm although I have not tried it myself...
D300, D7000. 10.5, 10-17, 16, 10-20, 17-70, 60, 105, 150 Hugyfots, Subtronic Novas, Seacams 350, YS250s, YS-D1s
Aqualung Team
www.davidbarrio.com