#1 Davide DB

Davide DB

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:15 PM

My latest effort underwater.

There's no banding in the original footage :D

The Steam Ship was built and launched as ROSOLINO ORLANDO in 1919 by the "Società Esercizio Bacini of Riva Trigoso" for the "Industrie Navali Società Anonima" (INSA) of Genoa. In 1923 she was renamed VALSAVOIA.
She was 5.733 tsl with a length x breadth of 117.60 x 15.70 m.
The SS VALSAVOIA, was torpedoed and sunk by HMS SAFARI on February 2nd 1943, while traveling from Naples to Palermo,10 miles West of Capri island near Positano.

The wreck lies under 85m/ 278ft of water in upward position.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Shot on a Panasonic GH2 + Lumix 7-14mm loaded with Lee Powell’s Flow Motion 2.02 settings; Nauticam Housing, 2x FIX Aquavolt3500 lights and 2x 50W HID Yellow Diving.

Music: Dandi + Mattanza + Bologna from the soundtrack of "Romanzo Criminale" by Paolo Buonvino.

Edited on Edius 6.07 + Canopus Imaginate 2 dor the animated chart

[vimeohd]53775747[/vimeohd]
  • SPP likes this
Disclaimer: Your new gear will not make you produce any better art than you already do.
https://vimeo.com/bocio/

#2 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2008 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:50 PM

Great job Davide! Best underwater footage I've seen from the GH2. Great colours and the shot of the bathroom etc. is so clear.

The GH2's achilles heel for underwater use is definitely that band between blue and pale turquoise that appears at 5:12 to 5:14. Will be interesting to see if the GH3 improves on that.

The pan across the gun at 4:15 was a bit strange because of the perspective of the lens. I guess you were very close to it and at full wide 7mm?

#3 Davide DB

Davide DB

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:45 AM

Thanks Nick,
I'm trying to improve each new video.

Yes, that is the only short part with banding. On the original footage is nearly undetectable. That shot was a bit over exposed, shallow (9m) and against the sun. As I wrote, perfect conditions for GH2 banding.
On the contrary, from 4:22 to 4:33 (again I forgot to cover lens writings Posted Image ) it's clear despite of the fact that I shot the blue against the sun. That shoot was deep and slightly underexposed. Anyway as you wrote it's the achille heel of this camera.
I saw the latest news/videos on GH3 and it's really promising.

I was all the dive wide open at 7mm except the rudder wheel close-up at 14mm. On that pan I end up at 30cm from the gun. It was very dark, I did not want to open more than f5.6 so I bit the bullet and in some shot I raised ISO to 1600, sigh Posted Image
At the moment I haven't the budget for NeatVideo plugin. A guy on PV posted precooked NeatVideo noise patterns for GH2 for all ISO levels. I made some test with the trial version but I was not very satisfied with the results.

Bye
Disclaimer: Your new gear will not make you produce any better art than you already do.

#4 SPP

SPP

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:09 AM

WOW, Davide..........AWESOME.
Agree with Nick, best GH2 underwater and one of the good DLSR wreck video I have seen. Me has not seen as much as Nick for sure.

80+ meters with such good visibility and it has that eerie deep blue water feel, very very nice.
With good artificial light, the GH2 shows great detail up close, just like your previous wreck video....beautiful.

I downloaded the original near 900MB. That scene 4:17 to 04:17 panning, based on 20 mbps data rate I am getting, its has mild stutter which I will also get on a bit faster panning scene, if I render a Sony MTS 28 mbps to MP4 at variable bit rate of 24 mbps or CBR less than 24 mbps. I think panning need high bit rate. Same mild stutter you can see at 0:06 to 0:12 animation. In your raw video I am sure you do not get that mild stuttering.

That 5:12 main* banding ( *Nick called the band between blue and pale turquoise ) I think is hard to avoid if the camera process image the way it is as you said being over exposed. The 05:15-05:16 smaller multiple banding lines is from compression artifacts rendering for Vimeo I am sure.

Anyway, 05:12 to 05:15 sunlight being so close to a black BCD + black wetsuit diver in dark blue water .........is a challenge to any camera, since you place the diver as priority . 05:13 you can see the right side white tank of the diver is already blown out too, the stainless steel band almost melting into the white tank. If you are not on auto AE for that footage, I would choose full auto exposure here and have the diver more in AE zone , rather middle a bit and spray the diver with powerful lights and play with EV compensation a bit, if sun ball still strong.

Overall the video is impressive and more so while doing it at 80+ meters. Two thumbs up. I can make comments but I wont be able to make a video as nice as yours he he he.

Here is a fun test at 12 & 5 meters depth , over exposed on purpose to see sun ball spread. First 2 screen captures at 12 meters with Urpro Cyan installed and that filter will reduce exposure by one F stop easy.

1-100sec p1.JPG
1-100sec p2.JPG

Below two is at 5 meters only, no Cyan filter installed.
All on RX100 which can max out F11 only.

Test 1.JPG
Test 4.JPG

I was trying to see how depth influence sun ball size and eventually that banding or sudden intensity jump.
Notice at 12 meters, when over exposed , the sun ball outer perimeter gets bigger.......... due to depth I suppose. The sun ball core is not big though.

Unless I can stage the scene properly, if sun ball is involved I would go full auto he he he. ( this forum smiley doesn't work on my Google Chrome )
Your kind of video is not something one can staged easily, its more of come-what-may documentary style and that is hard to get all perfect exposure.
All done in 1 dive I am sure , that is very very respectable video. Reef sight-seeing type video is much easier than your kind of video and no deco to worry. So I am impressed with your video and you being so humble about it.

Keep the video coming David and thanks for sharing.

#5 troporobo

troporobo

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:10 PM

Very well done, thanks for posting. I am not a tech diver so cannot imagine managing the gear and protocols for such a dive and still being able to shoot such high quality video. Congratulations

#6 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2008 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:39 PM

At the moment I haven't the budget for NeatVideo plugin. A guy on PV posted precooked NeatVideo noise patterns for GH2 for all ISO levels. I made some test with the trial version but I was not very satisfied with the results.

I didn't notice any excessive noise. But I wasn't really looking for it. Are you Windows-based? If so, you could try denoising in AviSynth with a plugin such as MCTemporalDenoise or dfttest. Painful learning curve though.

#7 Davide DB

Davide DB

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:00 AM

I downloaded the original near 900MB. That scene 4:17 to 04:17 panning, based on 20 mbps data rate I am getting, its has mild stutter which I will also get on a bit faster panning scene, if I render a Sony MTS 28 mbps to MP4 at variable bit rate of 24 mbps or CBR less than 24 mbps. I think panning need high bit rate. Same mild stutter you can see at 0:06 to 0:12 animation. In your raw video I am sure you do not get that mild stuttering.

That 5:12 main* banding ( *Nick called the band between blue and pale turquoise ) I think is hard to avoid if the camera process image the way it is as you said being over exposed. The 05:15-05:16 smaller multiple banding lines is from compression artifacts rendering for Vimeo I am sure.

Anyway, 05:12 to 05:15 sunlight being so close to a black BCD + black wetsuit diver in dark blue water .........is a challenge to any camera, since you place the diver as priority . 05:13 you can see the right side white tank of the diver is already blown out too, the stainless steel band almost melting into the white tank. If you are not on auto AE for that footage, I would choose full auto exposure here and have the diver more in AE zone , rather middle a bit and spray the diver with powerful lights and play with EV compensation a bit, if sun ball still strong.

Hi SPP thank you for your comments.

I shot it in a weekend in two dives. We had a roughly knowledge of this wreck so we planned most of the shot in advance. Unfortunately, on the first dive we trashed a lot of shots because my teammates were used to my 8mm fisheye and they did not pay too much attention to their positions in the frame.

I encoded it for Vimeo in VBR, 20 Mbps average and 35 Mbps max. At least this is what I set in Edius Posted Image Some of the original shots arrives at 120Mbps (e.g. the restroom scene and part of the gun). As I saw in your test, its' difficult to predict color banding. On shot like that I think here come into play a limited dinamic range accentuated by being overexposed.

I have to stay in deco for nearly two hours so I usually shot some clip for fun that can be useful for end titles Posted Image Just to say that I'm less careful to the quality. I apply some YUV curve in post. I saved a couple of presets. I'm realizing that I exaggerated with YUV blowing the white tanks.

Never tried AE on a real dive. Here is full of pro Posted Image I strictly follow their advices I had several times here.
I just tried AE for test but I end up trashing the best shots: on some panning you find a difference of two or three stop and aperture click is very noticeable. This is the downside of current DSRL.
Anyway I have a lot of fun shooting full manual Posted Image

thank you really

#8 Davide DB

Davide DB

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:08 AM

I didn't notice any excessive noise. But I wasn't really looking for it. Are you Windows-based? If so, you could try denoising in AviSynth with a plugin such as MCTemporalDenoise or dfttest. Painful learning curve though.

Yes, Edius on W7.
Ill' give it a try. BTW all denoiser programs requires the user being a nuclear engineer :)

Bye

#9 rramaley

rramaley

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:52 AM

Really nice work, Davide!!!! BIG thumbs up!

www.rebeccaramaley.com

#10 SPP

SPP

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:28 PM

Never tried AE on a real dive. Here is full of pro Posted Image I strictly follow their advices I had several times here.

He he he, me is AUTO man..... expect more great videos from you yah.
Really enjoy it and you allowing original download at Vimeo is very good, allowed me to enjoy your video in "near" full glory and learn some.
Full glory is when you upload to CBR 28 mpbs or higher.....he he he.

Even those videos taken on two dives, 80+ meters dive is not something I would like to have as secondary task at hand.....no Sir.
I would probably be "dumb" down there ha ha ha.

#11 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1390 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:00 AM

Superb Davide and that lens is REALLY sharp, or at least it certainly looked it to me. Add on the fact that you were down at 80m and a wonderful achievement. I would have loved some narration about the wreck and the dive, but I found the images engrossing to the end nevertheless.

What lights were you using?

Cheers, Simon

#12 Davide DB

Davide DB

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:09 AM

Superb Davide and that lens is REALLY sharp, or at least it certainly looked it to me. Add on the fact that you were down at 80m and a wonderful achievement.

Thanks Simon your comments are very appreciated.
I read a lot of comments on this lens not being sharp on other forums. Actually I find it is. In some shot the border are a little soft/out of focus but it was my fault relying too much on hyperfocal distance. In most of the shot I was already on 1600 ISO so I opened too much the iris (f5.6).

I would have loved some narration about the wreck and the dive, but I found the images engrossing to the end nevertheless.

A narration voice means step up to another level with a more precise storyboard and at the moment I haven't the knowledge for such project. Posted Image

Regarding narration voice... Here in Italy I know of at least two professional narrators who give their free contribute for no profit videos. I have to verify other constraints with a friend of mine who worked with them.
Is it possible to find a similar agreements with American/British professional narrators?
Eventually what could be the price for a video like mine on Vimeo? (I should open a proper thread for this...)

What lights were you using?

Two Fix Aquavolt 3500 on camera while my two divers/models were using a 50W Video HID each.

IMG_1267.jpg

Byeeeee

Edited by Davide DB, 06 December 2012 - 09:13 AM.

#13 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1390 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:33 AM

Ah yes the Aquavolts. I've used the 5000's fairly recently - very nice lights indeed. If the Lens is reported as a bit soft around the edges then perhaps it was just the camera resolution rather than the lens, but either way it looked a very nice high res image. Really impressive results from the GH2.

Re: Narration. Do it yourself! I don't know anyone that doesn't hate the sound of their own voice (with one or two exceptions!) but with a bit of practise most of us can get their own narration up to an acceptable level. I'd be happy to help with an English language version but I'm sure that there are others on Wetpixel who'd be equally happy to help.

Cheers, Simon

Cheers, Simon

#14 Davide DB

Davide DB

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:06 PM

Re: Narration. Do it yourself! I don't know anyone that doesn't hate the sound of their own voice (with one or two exceptions!) but with a bit of practise most of us can get their own narration up to an acceptable level. I'd be happy to help with an English language version but I'm sure that there are others on Wetpixel who'd be equally happy to help.

You did not hear my slang :-)

Anyway I will ask help here for an incoming project

Bye

#15 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2008 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:38 AM

What a rig that is!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gh2, wreck diving, nauticam