RWBrooks

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • Interests:The Natural World. The Sciences

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:19 PM

Hi,
I'm looking for recommendations on Photovoltaics to charge my camera batteries whilst out on extended shoots. I would prefer this method over a genny. Realistic charge times are obviously a must. Basically looking for a panel system with regulator and a cable system that is swappable between various chargers.
Any feedback is much appreciated.

Richard

Richard Brooks
Media Producer
Federated States of Micronesia

Visit My Website(s)

#2 Balrog

Balrog

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:32 PM

I think the energy balance is going to mean a big PV if you want quick charging. Maybe a permanantly set up PV with a buffer battery eg 12V bike gel cell might do it. Can you charge off a vehicle.
The most transportable system is probably more spare camera batteries.

#3 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1534 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:28 PM

20 watt panels with 12 v output are like $80 to $150 and are quite large. Maybe 2 x 3 feet.
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#4 RWBrooks

RWBrooks

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:35 PM

Ok, so how do the guys do it when they are in the middle of nowhere? on foot?

Richard Brooks
Media Producer

Visit My Website(s)

#5 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1534 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:24 AM

I think some of them take the more expensive foldable solar power chargers and some have lots of porters to carry things like small generators.
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#6 errbrr

errbrr

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:41 PM

I car camp in remote areas and use a generator. On occasion where a generator was forbidden we used solar panels with an associated car battery. The solar panel spent the day in the sun charging that, and then I was able to charge small batteries off it at night. Of course the car battery also turned up fully charged which probably helped over the course of the week. And it all depends on the sun coming out.

#7 RWBrooks

RWBrooks

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:44 PM

Yeah all depends on the sun! I'm 6 degrees north of the equator but that's no guarantee in Palau where "it never rains".......

Richard Brooks
Media Producer

Visit My Website(s)

#8 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1169 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:40 PM

There really is no substitute for mains voltage which I achieve 'on location' using 12 volt deep cycle leisure batteries and a 1200 watt voltage inverter. The leisure batteries can be taken to site pre-charged and maintained using solar panels or a vehicle alternator. Using this system gives 12 volt DC or 240 volt AC and ample resource for battery charging, laptop computer and lighting. It's easy to provide greater resources by adding further deep cycle batteries in parallel or by upping the Ahr. 3 fully charged 115 Ahr deep cycle batteries provides me with ample independent power for more than a week. Of course, hauling heavy deep cycle batteries by hand may not be an option and may need to be cached at base camp.

HTH, Tim
· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm
· INON Z-240s & Sea & Sea YS-250 Pros
· SmallHD DP4 monitor & NA-DP4. Fisheye Aquavolt 3500s & 7000s
· Zen DP-100, DP-200 & DP-230

#9 RWBrooks

RWBrooks

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:39 AM

There really is no substitute for mains voltage which I achieve 'on location' using 12 volt deep cycle leisure batteries and a 1200 watt voltage inverter. The leisure batteries can be taken to site pre-charged and maintained using solar panels or a vehicle alternator. Using this system gives 12 volt DC or 240 volt AC and ample resource for battery charging, laptop computer and lighting. It's easy to provide greater resources by adding further deep cycle batteries in parallel or by upping the Ahr. 3 fully charged 115 Ahr deep cycle batteries provides me with ample independent power for more than a week. Of course, hauling heavy deep cycle batteries by hand may not be an option and may need to be cached at base camp.

HTH, Tim

Thanks Tim'
Base camp is the idea and boats to outlying sites the transport. Thanks for the info.

Richard

Edited by RWBrooks, 28 November 2012 - 12:40 AM.

Richard Brooks
Media Producer

Visit My Website(s)

#10 OlinCleveland

OlinCleveland

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:22 PM

I car camp in remote areas and use a generator. On occasion where a generator was forbidden we used solar panels with an associated car battery. The solar panel spent the day in the sun charging that, and then I was able to charge small batteries off it at night. Of course the car battery also turned up fully charged which probably helped over the course of the week. And it all depends on the sun coming out.

It is nice way to use solar power.. There is complicated situation when SUN is not out but otherwise the system works pretty well..

#11 OlinCleveland

OlinCleveland

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:45 AM

It is nice way to use solar power.. There is complicated situation when SUN is not out but otherwise the solar panels works pretty well..

Yes it good use of solar power.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: solar, photovoltaics, batteries