compass accessory DIY Ikelite

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 rtrski

rtrski

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1000 posts
  • Interests:Slowly learning digital photography and underwater digital photography. Like drinking from a salt-water firehose... ;-)

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:46 PM

Bought a compass some time ago on a retractor, when the wife and I gave up our console computers for wrist mount, and switched to just small SPG's on the braided HP hoses. (Yes, I know about the recall - they're swapped already). Compass on retractor was kind of bulky and frankly I never really liked it, it was obviously the same unit they also just put bungies on for wearing on a wrist, but I didn't want to do that either since I also wear a dive watch as a backup time/depth unit. Rarely do we get out of sight of the boat, even on trips to the Flower Gardens where navigation is 120% the responsibility of the 'buddy team', but I still didn't want to not carry one.

So, this was the obvious first easy project for the new 3D printer. Aside from all the endless projects just making it functional in the first place...:grump:

Posted Image
compmnt_assmbled_use2 by rtrski, on Flickr

More pics with descriptions of the design approach are in a small set at Flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rtrski/sets/72157632085470014/

Might also work on a 'clip' to wrap around the SPG boot to mount one on the back for the wife, although the SPG isn't on a swivel at the end of the hose, so that might not be the best treatment of it.....

p.s. WHOA!!! The new Forum software auto-plays Flickr set links as a slideshow??? Too cool, and a bit showoffy. Sorry, just meant to provide a link for the curious, not force-feed you all. :/

Current rig: Sony SLT-alpha55 in Ikelite housing, Sigma 105mm f2.8 DC Macro w/ Ike 5505.58 flat port or Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM behind UWCamStuff custom 5" mini-dome. Dual INON z240 Type IVs triggered with DS51 for TTL mimicry, or DS51 alone with home-made ringflash assy for macro.

Topside, unhoused: Sony SLT-alpha99, Sigma 150-500mm + 1.4TC (Saving for Sony 70-400 G2), Sigma 15mm diagonal fish, Sony 24-70mm f2.8 CZ, Tamron 180mm f2.8 Macro...all the gear and nary a clue...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: compass, accessory, DIY, Ikelite