• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 acroporas

acroporas

Beach Bum

• Critter Expert
  • 1776 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 08:09 PM

Today there was once in a lifetime visability in the keys but unfortunately I had tecnical difficultys today and only managed to take 6 exposures. Twice the lens fell off, each time taking me 5 minutes to get back on. And then it started saying Error 99 and refused to take a picture. I had to remove the battery and put it back in to fix it.

Fortunately I did get a shot that I really like. But I have a feeling that somehow I could have improved it. So....What to do differently next time.

Posted Image

It looks much better full screen.

William

Canon 5D Ikelite Housing and strobes
15FE | 24/2.8 | 35/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 150/2.8 macro

#2 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 02:30 PM

Get closer. I like the exposure but I think it could be improved if you had put your camera in the area down near the lower left of this shot. You chould have gotten the jacks closer - at present there is no detail - and you could have gotten a sharper silouette from the wreck.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#3 acroporas

acroporas

Beach Bum

• Critter Expert
  • 1776 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 06:51 PM

Thanks james. I had given up on anyone ever responding. I picked this location because I liked the look of the structure with windows, I thought it would make the shot more interesting because the pole was kinda boreing on its own.
William

#4 tshepherd

tshepherd

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 05:03 AM

One thing that comes to mind for me when I look at this is that the wreck, with the exception of the mast and windowed area, fades into the bottom left of the image. If you had gotten down a little further, and to the left as James suggested, and kept the same area of the wreck (the jacks around the mast) composed, you might have gotten more sense of the wreck. Also, in looking at the large version of the image, I'd either want to see more or less detail in the jacks, but that's just my opinion.

This is a situation where you might want to consider a 15mm fisheye lens, especially being close to the Keys with wrecks like the Duane, the Bibb, and the Spiegel Grove. Then you could have gotten closer, and still gotten more into the shot.

Nice work though.

#5 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8384 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 08:31 AM

I think that fish schools look really good when you can get the whole school in the frame with blue water around.

I have tried a tighter crop on the image. That emphasises the two subjects - the wreck and the school. I prefer it this way. What do you think, William?

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#6 acroporas

acroporas

Beach Bum

• Critter Expert
  • 1776 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 11:12 AM

Yes, It does look better that way. Looks about 8x10 ratio which is good since that is close to the size I print at.
William

#7 Merlinos

Merlinos

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 02:20 AM

And then it started saying Error 99 and refused to take a picture.  I had to remove the battery and put it back in to fix it.

:shock: ...Does your camera work under microsoft windows ???? :)
Nikon D200 - Subal ND20- SB-104 - inon Z-220 - Inon Z-240
and my old....
Nikon F100 - Subal N10- Ikelite 100A Strobe

My website: www.Bluesun.fr