• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10629 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:30 AM

WARNING!!! THIS IS A HACK FIRMWARE AND THERE IS AN INHERENT RISK OF KILLING YOUR CAMERA WITH ANY HACKS!

I've been experimenting with the Magic Lantern Alpha 3 firmware hack the last few weeks. I have to say I'm loving the peaking and gradual exposure. Peaking helps with focus by highlighting the areas in focus.
Gradual exposure basically slows the lens aperture stops to make the transition more gradual, so there's no harsh change in exposure. There are no changes to the quality of the video as of yet but functional features that make the camera much more useful as a video camera. With the clean HDMI firmware coming in Mar 2013 (but not the 1Dx!), I think Canon is feeling the heat of clean HDMI D800s stealing the sales.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#2 Highlander

Highlander

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:06 AM

Hi Drew

I'd taken my eye off the ball with Magic Lantern for a bit (use Canon 5D Mk2 for film), and was interested in the increased bitrates that ML offered but frustrated at the lack of clean HDMI output that didnt need realtered size-wise in post. So does this mean that there is really clean HDMI output for both models (Mk 2 and 3)? Loved the little Ninja/Samuri device to record topside the output (prores 4:2:2) that I saw at a trade show, but are there as yet any developments to combine this type of recording device as a monitor for use with U/W housings and if so, have you any pointers?

Canon should feel the heat over clean HDMI output...

Thanks
Lindsay

#3 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10629 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:06 AM

There is no clean HDMI for the Mk2 from Canon, only the Mk3.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#4 MJvC

MJvC

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:38 AM

Is it full 1920 x 1080 with no boarders or do you still have to crop and enlarge slightly in post

#5 doubtingGunnel

doubtingGunnel

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:46 PM

I wanted to add my experience. I've been shooting macro video with the MK3 with no external monitor. It's challenging, but the Magic Lantern focus peaking has helped a lot, especially when the subject is moving. I also use the Magic Focus feature when I have a static subject and that has also been a great help. The other nice thing is that you can put the firmware on a 4GB SD card and leave it in the camera and record to your CF slot. This way, whenever you want to use ML, you just load it up through the menu and are ready to go.