#61 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8388 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:51 AM

Don't know, I am afraid. I don't have that port. Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#62 edtv75

edtv75

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:55 AM

The 12-50mm zoom gear finally caught up with me in Cayman, hope to try it tomorrow afternoon with the 60mm port. Will report how it works.

Fitting the gear was very simple. Just slide on and secure with the wide rubber band, which holds the gear tight to the lens.

Alex

Alex, the moderator deleted the maker for this zoom gear..can you pm me where i can order this??

#63 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8388 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:02 AM

The link is in Jock's post #12 in this discussion. Alex

Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#64 guyharrisonphoto

guyharrisonphoto

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:Macro, big critters, coral reefs, kelp, I love it all!

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:11 AM

In the regular om-D forum I just posted six pix taken with the 12-50 and dedicated port/gear, from scenic to full macro. What an incredibly useful and versatile rig!!

#65 nudibranco

nudibranco

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:clear waters for WA and small critters ! Beach diving

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:13 AM

Don't know, I am afraid. I don't have that port. Alex

actually Nauticam specs include the 12-50mm lens in that 4" dome port which I believe would be nice to use not only with the 12-50mm but with the 60mm macro and 9-18mm as well. As usual though, the attachment of a diopter adapter to domes is always so expensive like shown in REEF prices. Probably much better to make your own with some pvc pipes, some step down ring (like 82mm to 77mm or 67mm), and some custom mold resin if required. Some thoughts though:
1) need to try it anyway to see image quality
2) best diopter lens to provide best magnification/quality.

Alex has shown that the Subsee +10 works wonders (well in Alex hands everything seems nice :) ...!!!) and interestingly enough it does not vignette at all in the 65 Nauticam macro port (part number 36163 i believe??) without adapter but it vignettes from 15 and below with the adapter.
So this combination seems quite exciting.
My question then goes to potentially use the 77mm Dyron lens which should reduce even more the vignetting and allows for stacking.
Does anybody have experience with Dyron 77mm vs. SubSee +5 or +10???

What Alex is showing is remarkable in that I have the Nauti 12-50 port and even with the 77mm thread on it I cannot add a step down ring to 67mm without vignetting and what seems sharp edges. Even without anything, that port, in uncorrected RAW format, shows some very slight vignetting!.

That is why I am playing with the idea that the 4" dome port with the 3 small 9-18mm, 12-50mm, and the 60mm macro would basically cover all angles with little luggage weight and few compromises. The bonus of attaching a nice diopter like Subsee or 1 or 2 dyron on that same port with the 12-50mm is even more exciting when you just do not know what the dive site will offer you... Maybe even with the 9-18mm the diopter at 18mm will be useful to take pics of large nudi or small fish. I tried a +5 Marumi in front of it at 18mm and magnification is 0.5x in 35mm terms.

#66 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8388 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:27 PM

My question then goes to potentially use the 77mm Dyron lens which should reduce even more the vignetting and allows for stacking.
Does anybody have experience with Dyron 77mm vs. SubSee +5 or +10???

Yes, different worlds in terms of quality. I'd strongly recommend the Subsee. I have a Dyron lens that you are welcome to try anytime (I've only used it once when testing it).

Alex

#67 nudibranco

nudibranco

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:clear waters for WA and small critters ! Beach diving

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:43 PM

Yes, different worlds in terms of quality. I'd strongly recommend the Subsee. I have a Dyron lens that you are welcome to try anytime (I've only used it once when testing it).

Alex

Thank You Alex!!!

#68 Iankelso

Iankelso

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:40 PM

The 60mm port with the 12-50 inside plus dioptre looks like a fabulous set up for general use. Would the port take an inon 67mm Wide wet lens or is that asking too much. Also type 1 or type 2?

TIA

Ian

Ian

#69 berkeleyan

berkeleyan

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:53 PM

The 60mm fits and works with the 12-50 port....how about the other way?

I am using a Macro Port 45+Mini Extension ring 20 for my 60mm (I own the 45mm as well so I am using an extension)

thinking if these would work with the 12-50, the lens is not expensive but a great choice for dives with macro and wide shots ~

Thanks ~

Cal

#70 girelle

girelle

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:59 PM

The 60mm port with the 12-50 inside plus dioptre looks like a fabulous set up for general use. Would the port take an inon 67mm Wide wet lens or is that asking too much. Also type 1 or type 2?

TIA

Ian

Ian

No , I don't think so , because Nauticam has buit a 77 mm port for the 12-50 lense especially because of a slight vignetting at 12 MM , so probably adding a wide lense will create vignetting and you'll be obliged to zoom to eliminate it , so wide angle lense will not be of any use :)

#71 Iankelso

Iankelso

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 02:19 PM

Thanks for your reply, Girelle.

The reason I asked is that I have the Olympus housing and port ep08 with the macro lens adaptor. This is basically a lens cap with a hole drilled out to take a 67mm thread which vignettes quite badly with the 14-42 Olympus lens unless you zoom in to about 22mm on the lens. When I add my Inon WA adaptor which has a 0.6 magnification factor that only takes me back to 13.6mm widest so no field of view advantage of using the WA adaptor in the first place.

I've tried the 12-50mm lens in the Oly housing (without zoom gear but using the function button for zooming full wide and full telephoto). It has a fantastic range for general use from reasonably wide scenery to full head shots of sea horse and closer with dioptre. It doesn't vignette as badly but the net gain in angle of view while obvious is tiny so barely worth the effort.

So that's why this thread is fascinating for me.

I'd love a little more angle/field of view. Alex reports only 2mm loss of wide angle range due to vignetting on the nauti 60mm port with a dioptre lens so if this is the case, and I know it might not be the same with the WA adaptor, then 14mm x0.6 WA adaptor gives 8.4mm rather than 12x0.6 =7.2 which means a significantly increased angle of view over the 12mm without the WA adaptor due to the flat port under water.

Does all this make sense? Can someone try it out? It would be good to know before I sell my Oly housing in favour of the Nauti...

TIA

Ian

#72 linder

linder

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:27 AM

Thanks for your reply, Girelle.

The reason I asked is that I have the Olympus housing and port ep08 with the macro lens adaptor. This is basically a lens cap with a hole drilled out to take a 67mm thread which vignettes quite badly with the 14-42 Olympus lens unless you zoom in to about 22mm on the lens. When I add my Inon WA adaptor which has a 0.6 magnification factor that only takes me back to 13.6mm widest so no field of view advantage of using the WA adaptor in the first place.

I've tried the 12-50mm lens in the Oly housing (without zoom gear but using the function button for zooming full wide and full telephoto). It has a fantastic range for general use from reasonably wide scenery to full head shots of sea horse and closer with dioptre. It doesn't vignette as badly but the net gain in angle of view while obvious is tiny so barely worth the effort.

So that's why this thread is fascinating for me.

I'd love a little more angle/field of view. Alex reports only 2mm loss of wide angle range due to vignetting on the nauti 60mm port with a dioptre lens so if this is the case, and I know it might not be the same with the WA adaptor, then 14mm x0.6 WA adaptor gives 8.4mm rather than 12x0.6 =7.2 which means a significantly increased angle of view over the 12mm without the WA adaptor due to the flat port under water.

Does all this make sense? Can someone try it out? It would be good to know before I sell my Oly housing in favour of the Nauti...

TIA

Ian

This is exactly what I am looking for, a little bit more angle on the wide side and this will be the ultimate rig for me.

#73 Karl

Karl

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:45 PM

I've tried the 12-50mm lens in the Oly housing (without zoom gear but using the function button for zooming full wide and full telephoto).
Ian

Can I ask how you acheived this?

Which Fn button are you using as the zoom button and how did you set this up in the menus??

Thanks.

Karl

Everyone is entitled to my opinion!!

#74 linder

linder

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:34 AM

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm not used to shooting macro with wet lenses (only WA). Is it more difficult skill-wise to shoot macro with the 12-50 at 50mm and a +10 Subsee (using the Austrian zoom gear) compared to using the lens built in macro function @ 43mm (with the dedicated port/gear)?

I'm debating which of the two set-ups to go with, either the expensive dedicated port + zoom/gear or the normal 60 port with Austrian gear and Subsee for manual zoom.. 

Edited by linder, 19 April 2013 - 01:35 AM.

#75 Mamel

Mamel

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:16 PM

Can I ask how you acheived this?

Which Fn button are you using as the zoom button and how did you set this up in the menus??

Thanks.

Karl

You need to assign/set the Fn1 or Fn2 as UW macro/WA toggle through the custom menu-Button/dial-button function.

You may not like the preset setting on this mode. I normally set to M, turn to other mode and return to M.

#76 ProfF

ProfF

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:50 AM

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm not used to shooting macro with wet lenses (only WA). Is it more difficult skill-wise to shoot macro with the 12-50 at 50mm and a +10 Subsee (using the Austrian zoom gear) compared to using the lens built in macro function @ 43mm (with the dedicated port/gear)?

I'm debating which of the two set-ups to go with, either the expensive dedicated port + zoom/gear or the normal 60 port with Austrian gear and Subsee for manual zoom.. 

While the built in macro is a great feature out of the water, I believe it is easier and you would get better results with a diopter (I would start with +5 or UWL-165, as +10 is for super-macro). If you really want macro, a better use of your money is the 60mm lens (which is amazing in quality).

Olympus E-PL3, Nauticam NA-PL3, Olympus 9-18mm, 12-50mm, 60mm lenses, Sea & Sea YS110a, YS01.

#77 ProfF

ProfF

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:56 AM

That is why I am playing with the idea that the 4" dome port with the 3 small 9-18mm, 12-50mm, and the 60mm macro would basically cover all angles with little luggage weight and few compromises. The bonus of attaching a nice diopter like Subsee or 1 or 2 dyron on that same port with the 12-50mm is even more exciting when you just do not know what the dive site will offer you... Maybe even with the 9-18mm the diopter at 18mm will be useful to take pics of large nudi or small fish. I tried a +5 Marumi in front of it at 18mm and magnification is 0.5x in 35mm terms.

I have exactly this setup - 4" port with these three lens, which is great for travel. Once I added a flip-on 67mm diopter holder, I can combine the flexibility of the 12-50 and have macro capabilities.

IMHO, this a much better use of the money (flip diopter holder vs. 12-50 port+gear). Since I printed my own zoom gear and holder, I saved enough to buy a 8mm fisheye ;-)

Fantastic shots Alex.
Will the 12-50 fit inside the 4 inch wide angle port (the one for the 9-18mm?
Will it have any impact on image quality?
Thanks

Yes, and as far as I can estimate, not at all.

Olympus E-PL3, Nauticam NA-PL3, Olympus 9-18mm, 12-50mm, 60mm lenses, Sea & Sea YS110a, YS01.

#78 linder

linder

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:19 AM

I have exactly this setup - 4" port with these three lens, which is great for travel. Once I added a flip-on 67mm diopter holder, I can combine the flexibility of the 12-50 and have macro capabilities.
IMHO, this a much better use of the money (flip diopter holder vs. 12-50 port+gear). Since I printed my own zoom gear and holder, I saved enough to buy a 8mm fisheye

Really nice to hear! When you shoot macro in the 4" with the 12-50 + diopter do you feel like you have to be too close to some subjects (to compensate for the loss of magnification due to the dome)? This is my last concern I need to clear before placing an order.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

#79 ProfF

ProfF

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:34 PM

Really nice to hear! When you shoot macro in the 4" with the 12-50 + diopter do you feel like you have to be too close to some subjects (to compensate for the loss of magnification due to the dome)? This is my last concern I need to clear before placing an order. 

I don't feel that way. But, I never had a chance to try this lens behind a flat port.

If you do not plan on W/A (e.g. 9-18) than based on the reports above the 60mm port might be fine for you. I really love the 9-18, and already had the 4" dome, so it was natural to stay with it.

#80 linder

linder

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:50 PM

I don't feel that way. But, I never had a chance to try this lens behind a flat port.

If you do not plan on W/A (e.g. 9-18) than based on the reports above the 60mm port might be fine for you. I really love the 9-18, and already had the 4" dome, so it was natural to stay with it.

I'm getting the 9-18 and was hoping not to have to get two ports. I only ask about the 12-50 as i realize the 9-18 will be fine behind the dome but I am uncertain with regards to macro on the 12-50. Thank you for all your replies!, very helpfull for someone who is already 1000 euro over budget :)

Edited by linder, 21 April 2013 - 10:52 PM.