• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Gombessa

Gombessa

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:42 AM

Hoping someone here has already done the legwork on this so I don't have to reinvent the wheel on a rig I'm working on...does anyone know the saltwater buoyancy of a Hero 3 in housing without any attachments/mounts? My Hero3 is on order and I won't have it on-hand for a few weeks to test myself.

#2 rtrski

rtrski

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts
  • Interests:Slowly learning digital photography and underwater digital photography. Like drinking from a salt-water firehose... ;-)

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:17 PM

My guess is it's definitely negative. Knew a guy who had a Hero 2, dropped it on a rocky beach in slight surf (all housed of course) while putting on fins to swim out to the boat, and it was swiftly gone...churned out from shore by the undertow and never seen again.

Current rig: Sony SLT-alpha55 in Ikelite housing, Sigma 105mm f2.8 DC Macro w/ Ike 5505.58 flat port or Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM behind UWCamStuff custom 5" mini-dome. Dual INON z240 Type IVs triggered with DS51 for TTL mimicry, or DS51 alone with home-made ringflash assy for macro.

Topside, unhoused: Sony SLT-alpha99, Sigma 150-500mm + 1.4TC (Saving for Sony 70-400 G2), Sigma 15mm diagonal fish, Sony 24-70mm f2.8 CZ, Tamron 180mm f2.8 Macro...all the gear and nary a clue...

#3 Gombessa

Gombessa

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:49 AM

My guess is it's definitely negative. Knew a guy who had a Hero 2, dropped it on a rocky beach in slight surf (all housed of course) while putting on fins to swim out to the boat, and it was swiftly gone...churned out from shore by the undertow and never seen again.

Oh, I agree that it's negative (they make a foamy float attachment for the housing for watersports uses). I was hoping someone knows whether it's 100g negative, 250g, etc. I'm trying to get fairly precise numbers for a scooter rigging, and getting it into the ballpark early on would help out.

#4 rtrski

rtrski

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts
  • Interests:Slowly learning digital photography and underwater digital photography. Like drinking from a salt-water firehose... ;-)

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:10 PM

Can you weigh it with a spring scale in freshwater, then do a density conversion for saltwater? EDIT - never mind - re-read original post about 'not having it yet'. Sigh. Comprehension fail on my part. Sorry....

Edited by rtrski, 29 November 2012 - 06:11 PM.

Current rig: Sony SLT-alpha55 in Ikelite housing, Sigma 105mm f2.8 DC Macro w/ Ike 5505.58 flat port or Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM behind UWCamStuff custom 5" mini-dome. Dual INON z240 Type IVs triggered with DS51 for TTL mimicry, or DS51 alone with home-made ringflash assy for macro.

Topside, unhoused: Sony SLT-alpha99, Sigma 150-500mm + 1.4TC (Saving for Sony 70-400 G2), Sigma 15mm diagonal fish, Sony 24-70mm f2.8 CZ, Tamron 180mm f2.8 Macro...all the gear and nary a clue...

#5 Gombessa

Gombessa

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:16 PM

Can you weigh it with a spring scale in freshwater, then do a density conversion for saltwater?

For what it's worth, that is exactly what I'll do when I get it, if nobody here has a ready answer (you can tell I have too much SI between days I can dive) :)