72 replies to this topic

#1 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1735 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:34 AM

Hi all,

I'm planning to ask Nikon about the frustrating "slow to write" problem that occurs with the D800.

This typically happens thus:

When you take a shot, an hourglass (timer) appears on the LCD screen. The "card writing" light also lights up.

It can take some time to clear. Taking another shot does not clear it, just extends the waiting time!

I think this is common to most D800s, but it would be great if we can approach Nikon and say that many people are having the same problem. If you own or have used a D800 and either get the problem or don't, please add a post to this thread:)

Many thanks

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#2 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8373 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:28 AM

As I told you, I had this problem with your camera in the Red Sea. It was v. annoying when waiting for an image to flash up on screen to check your lighting etc.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).

#3 eyu

eyu

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:36 AM

Please add me to the list too

Elmer

Nikon D800E, D800, Subal ND800, Inon Z240, ULCS with StiX floats

#4 Alex_Tattersall

Alex_Tattersall

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:08 AM

I had this problem too last week, Adam and I were discussing this today. My camera is at least 6 months newer than Adam’s so unlikely to be part of the same batch.
www.flickr.com/photos/alextattersall

www.nauticamuk.com
www.uwvisions.com
Exclusive official importer of Nauticam products into the UK and Ireland

#5 Ryan

Ryan

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:17 AM

What cards are being used when this issue arises?

founder of Reef Photo & Video
manufacturer of Zen Domes

distributor of Nauticam in the Americas

n2theblue at reefphoto.com

#6 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8373 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:29 AM

If this problem was widespread across all D800s then we would have heard no end of it on the forums like DPReview. Think about all the fuss they made about the left focus issues of the D800!

So I am guessing it might be related to something we do underwater. The only thing I can think of is using flash? However I had this problem when using both wired and pop-up flash. I can't think of anything else.

I was using the card that is usually in my D4 (32gb Sandisk ExtremePro).

Alex

#7 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:43 AM

I don't think it's an underwater issue. It happens with my camera very occasionally topside. I have not noticed any type of pattern. I have one of the first 800's released and then an 800E. Don't think it happens with the E.
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#8 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8373 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:49 AM

This is what I posted about the problem back in July:

it was in fact that D800 that was a little buggy. I did have a recurring problem with the camera. From time to time, after taking a picture, it would take 20-30 seconds for the D800 to show the picture on the LCD screen. It would occur when taking the first picture after the camera had been in active for a while. It could be a bit annoying when you wanted to check exposures/lighting on the first shot in a sequence. But was not of serious consequence. One other D800 owner on board said his camera did this too. Maybe the latest firmware fixes this problem.

#9 eyu

eyu

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:57 AM

64 gb Sandisk Extreme and it is only intermittently, noticed it doing land portraits.

The sporadic waiting time for the image review to start up after depressing the playback button is more annoying.

Edited by eyu, 29 November 2012 - 05:00 AM.

Nikon D800E, D800, Subal ND800, Inon Z240, ULCS with StiX floats

#10 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:12 AM

Hmm,
i don't have this problem, even shooting several images in C shutter mode on land and using a SanDisk Extreme pro 64GB SDXC and a Lexar 800x CF
Please test your cards with a write/read card test program to make sure that you have a original card, and not a rebadged class 2 or 4.
Relabeling is unfortunately a common practice to gain easy money as the price difference between a class 2 and a true class 10
are abyssal and to change the sticker is a easy task.
I just had a long discussion with my camera man and some - non empiric - test done with several SD cards from No-Name to SanDisk and most of them are well below their class rating.
Chris

Edited by ChrigelKarrer, 29 November 2012 - 06:22 AM.

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#11 JackConnick

JackConnick

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1202 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, diving, women, cats

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:15 AM

I didn't have this problem when writing to a 16BD ADATA Class 10 card on a body I rented from Lens Rentals. I had tried to use an older 150x 16GB Compact Flash card and it locked the camera up. So I just shot with the one card and changed more often.

I did see on the Nikonians forum that having a slow card in the other slot can slow the faster card up somehow. I'm not seeing a lot of posts as to general slow writing ther there and those guys shoot a lot. Have you tried an SD card or another CF card?

I just bought a new D800 and will try a few tests to see.

Jack
Jack Connick
Optical Ocean Sales.com Sea & Sea, Olympus, Ikelite, Athena, Zen, Fix, Nauticam, Aquatica, Gates, 10Bar, Light & Motion, iTorch/I-DAS & Fantasea Line -
Cameras, Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & Accessories

Blog & Gallery: Optical Ocean: Above & Below
Flickr Gallerys: Optical Ocean on Flickr

#12 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8373 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:33 AM

I don't buy the card explanation - because that doesn't explain why the problem on occurs on rare occasions. Also the write speed is perfectly good most of the time, even when blatting away and then once in while (several hundred photos between incidents) it will take 10-20 seconds to show you the first image you take, even when you only shoot one image. While most of the time it shows the images instantly, even when shooting frame after frame.

Alex

#13 JackConnick

JackConnick

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1202 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, diving, women, cats

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:44 AM

Hmm, I just tried a few ideas out.

Used a new Extreme 32GB 60mb/sec CF card and it was very fast, writing 6 or so RAW shots quite quickly.

Class 10 16GB card was noticeably slower, but still kept up pretty well. I was surprised at the speed difference.
Older Ultra 33 GB/sec CF card was slow - but worked. An older transcend card of about the same speed locked the camera up - beware!

Loading various combos and switching the primary back and forth didn't make any difference.

Note that having the green light on only means that the camera is accessing the card. May be/not actually writing to it.

Edited by JackConnick, 29 November 2012 - 11:44 AM.

Jack Connick
Optical Ocean Sales.com Sea & Sea, Olympus, Ikelite, Athena, Zen, Fix, Nauticam, Aquatica, Gates, 10Bar, Light & Motion, iTorch/I-DAS & Fantasea Line -
Cameras, Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & Accessories

Blog & Gallery: Optical Ocean: Above & Below
Flickr Gallerys: Optical Ocean on Flickr

#14 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1735 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:36 PM

Hi all,

I am using genuine and fast cards! I have also used a bunch of different cards.

I also get this underwater and topside. It is intermittent though. It is not something that happens on every shoot or day's shooting. It happens when writing to CF or SD cards.

I was assuming that having just taken an image, that the camera would be trying to write to the card. However, It may be doing some other function? This may be what causes the write delay I guess.

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#15 Alex_Tattersall

Alex_Tattersall

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:49 PM

Right, I’m taking mine back tomorrow, I’ll let you know the outcome
www.flickr.com/photos/alextattersall

www.nauticamuk.com
www.uwvisions.com
Exclusive official importer of Nauticam products into the UK and Ireland

#16 PeteAtkinson

PeteAtkinson

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:24 AM

We recently updated the firmware on our D800s but still have had this issue a couple of times since. If I am in a hurry, I just pop the battery out a bit to clear the problem. It probably screws up the shot it was writing. Will housings now have a control for opening the battery door and dropping the battery temporarily? (sarcasm alert...)

#17 Udo van Dongen

Udo van Dongen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:31 AM

We recently updated the firmware on our D800s but still have had this issue a couple of times since. If I am in a hurry, I just pop the battery out a bit to clear the problem. It probably screws up the shot it was writing. Will housings now have a control for opening the battery door and dropping the battery temporarily? (sarcasm alert...)

Do you have a firmwareupdate voor your D800? I know about one update but that is only about lensprofiles as far as i can recall.
Anyway, i have the problem with my D800 and my D800E every now and then too. I use Transcend 32 GB cards, but i don't think it matters really which cards you use. Usually i just start the light measurement by pressing the shutterrelease slightly and then i press the 'play' button. Normally i can see the image then.

Udo

www.udovandongen.com
Nikon D800, D800E, Hugyfot housing, 15 mm fisheye, 16-35 mm WA, 105mm VR Macro, 60 mm Macro, Subsee +5 an +10 wet diopters, Inon Z-240 strobes (3x), Inon float arms, Nauticam armclamps, Bigblue and Inon focus lights.

check out more photos on the facebook

#18 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10629 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:31 AM

Well I had it happen with my D800 one time, using an Extreme Pro 95mb/s. Then I switched to the Lexar 1000x CF and it never happened again, on either the 32, 64 or 128GB. It never took 20 seconds, more like 12 seconds to clear a 4fps sequence. The files were 43+mb RAW + Lrg JPG. Seeing how the fastest card on the D800 only writes at 60+ MB/s to CF (UDMA7) or 22MB/s on the SD (Class 10), I think it's safe to say there is an irregular bug in the camera.
There were all ISO1250 with NR turned off. Never had an issue with video and the SD card either.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#19 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8373 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:36 AM

For me the problem wasn't about clearing a sequence of shots. It happened when just shooting one shot, which on the rare occassions the problem occurred would take an age to write. Then a minute later you'd blat of 10 shots in a row and no problem.
Alex

#20 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:48 AM

I got this problem for the first time on my last trip and it coincided with the battery needing recharging shortly after. Could it be connected to a battery power voltage drop? This was the first ime I attempted to use the same battery for a whole six day dive trip.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: D800, Nikon, slow to write, hourglass