Photo
- - - - -

How to open a DS50 (or DS51 or AF35...)?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Deco Rico

Deco Rico

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:56 AM

Well it's been asked here before... but the poster only said he'd worked it out and didn't actually say how! Arrggghhh!#*%^&#!!!!!!
http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=38069

So after removing the front plastic cover, the clear lens can be turned through a small angle.. but won't lift out or slide out.
What next??

Does the sync cord connector have to come off first, or perhaps the power knob on the back, or both?

The DS50, DS51 and AF35 all look like the exact same mold... so I expect will be the same to take apart.

Thanks... this is driving me nuts...

#2 JimG

JimG

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • Interests:Photography - underwater and avian, natural history

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:15 AM

I assume it is the same as the old Substrobes as the external design looks the same. If so, remove the ready light "window" - it should be a little dome shaped thing you can grip with a pair of pincers. It is just pushed in against an o-ring. Once removed insert something to give a gentle air supply - I used an old tyre footpump and the front of the flash just pops out. Make sure that unlike me you have fully unlocked the front lens - the first one I did I bust the lugs on it. Araldite saved the day!

Hope this helps but must say I have never examined a DS model

Jim Greenfield - Canon 5D Mark 3/Aquatica
My Web Site

#3 Deco Rico

Deco Rico

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:00 AM

(Copy and paste from this thread on the same subject...)

That's a great suggestion Jim. I really like the idea that the thing is just sucking itself together with a bit of negative air pressure! Explains a lot about the lack of visible fixings.

Unfrotunately the design must have changed -- I can't see any way anything could fit around the ready-light on this one.
It's flat, not dome shaped, and is slightly recessed into the back of the case and there is no gap even for very narrow tweezers :-(

Thanks anyway, much apprecated.

#4 Deco Rico

Deco Rico

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:48 AM

After some experimentation I have worked it out.
I've added a short guide to opening DS-50, DS-51 and AF-35 strobes here:

http://wetpixel.com/...69