11 replies to this topic

#1 vkholo

vkholo

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:48 PM

Raja Ampat vs Komodo

I am underwater photographer and had great opportunity to visit Komodo, Wakatobi, and Great Barrier Reef in the past. Raja Ampat was always on my wish list of places to dive, but I always postponed this trip due its duration and expenses.

Could you please share with me your experience of diving Raja Ampat from underwater photography point of view? Is marine life in Raja Ampat much different from Komodo?

I am not interested in sharks, rather macro life and soft corals.

Edited by vkholo, 30 November 2012 - 01:49 PM.

#2 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6182 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:49 PM

The macro/invertebrate life is not as good in RA as Komodo, but it does have some good macro life, lots of pygmy seahorses etc. But Komodo much better for the little stuff.

Where RA stands out is the fantastic colours of the soft corals as well as great schooling fish behaviour especially fusiliers and sweetlips.
RA and Komodo are the top two locations in Indo for sheer variety of things to shoot.

If you want macro life... stop in Lembeh Strait before or after your trip to RA, you can fly direct to Sorong (RA) from Manado where Lembeh is

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#3 vkholo

vkholo

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:38 PM

Mike, thank you for information.

#4 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1522 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:33 PM

as mike said, Lembeh is one of the places for great macro, but so is Ambon. If you get to Komodo and can get down south, great macro stuff (ladybug amphipods for example).
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#5 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10635 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:09 PM

Another oft less mentioned place for macro/corals is Lembata, Pantar and the Alor area. Some great macro dives and even very interesting soft coral formations in the sand. Then the coral formations around Alor/Ternate are pretty nice as well.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#6 seafan

seafan

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:07 PM

The main problem, from my point of view, is that there are too many amazing destinations but not enough funds or time off to get to all of them. :-)

Edited by seafan, 05 December 2012 - 05:07 PM.

May all your bubbles reach the surface before you do!!!

#7 decimal86

decimal86

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:44 PM

Raja Ampat vs Komodo

I am underwater photographer and had great opportunity to visit Komodo, Wakatobi, and Great Barrier Reef in the past. Raja Ampat was always on my wish list of places to dive, but I always postponed this trip due its duration and expenses.

Could you please share with me your experience of diving Raja Ampat from underwater photography point of view? Is marine life in Raja Ampat much different from Komodo?

I am not interested in sharks, rather macro life and soft corals.

i have dived in R4, Komodo, Ambon and yes....Lembeh!

as u said in yr thread, macro life? between Ambon and Lembeh ? i would pick Lembeh as it involves less travelling (from Singapore).

i dive Lembeh on average 4 times a year and it has never, ever disappointed me. last i was there it was frogfish galore!

Ambon has its Wow factor but there are only 2 DC's there. and one of them did not impress me much ( shania twain style)

if you need to shoot corals as well then i would recomm that you dive with a DC in Manado where Bunaken and Lembeh is accessible then you would have covered all 3--manado, bunaken and lembeh?

all said, if you travel here, everywhere is great diving...

Edited by decimal86, 11 December 2012 - 06:46 PM.

#8 Luko

Luko

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:06 PM

Ambon has its Wow factor but there are only 2 DC's there. and one of them did not impress me much ( shania twain style)

So did you meet Elvis or Brad Pitt?
Did you go where I advised? Actually there are 3 DCs operating in Ambon,and more Rhinopias you could even expect in Lembeh.

if you need to shoot corals as well then i would recomm that you dive with a DC in Manado where Bunaken and Lembeh is accessible then you would have covered all 3--manado, bunaken and lembeh?

I find the corals and the bottom scenery around Ambon are terrific, though it's more gorgonians than soft corals. For the best softcorals in NorthSulawesi, I'd rather think of Bangka.
Pls have a look at my Flickr photo gallery and leave a comment.
Galleries in Pbase : Ambon & Maluku, Bangka & Bali, Komodo & Maumere, Moalboal, Mabul & Sipadan.
Vanuatu incl.SS Pres.Coolidge wreck.

#9 vkholo

vkholo

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:30 PM

Thank you for all comments.

I would like to get your opinion on duration of stay at Lembeh Strait for an underwater photography enthusiast.

Edited by vkholo, 10 January 2013 - 11:33 PM.

#10 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:31 AM

It's all good but I'd like to say that IMHO Raja Ampat is about the Dampier Strait.

I've seen more animals under the jetty near Cape Kri than I saw in all the rest of Raja Ampat. However, there is a ripping current, which is why it is so good for animals but tough diving. Max Ammer is a very special man too.

Edited by John Bantin, 11 January 2013 - 05:48 AM.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#11 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10635 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:03 AM

I would like to get your opinion on duration of stay at Lembeh Strait for an underwater photography enthusiast.

Well depends on how much time you have and what you are after. As a start, I'd say 10-14 days is a good intro to the area, IF you are into critters for most dives. There are some corally sites there but up north in Bangka,Bunaken etc it's better for coral diving. It really depends on the moon phase and time of year for species etc.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#12 darenbeaumont

darenbeaumont

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:29 AM

I have never dived Raja Ampat, although it's on my list of placces to go but, I have dived PNG a bit and you definitely need 10 to 14 days to really get a feel for the place.