5 replies to this topic

#1 newmanl

newmanl

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:23 AM

Hi Folks,

While I'm still very much learning how to make good images u/w, I find it most useful to pre-visualize an image (what I'm after and how would I go about getting it) before getting in the water - particularly given the number of distractions once I'm in the water! On a recent cave diving trip I managed to actually make the image I had in my mind before even getting on the plane. It really helped that I had two very capable and willing team-mates to help pull it off!

Posted Image

Cheers,

Lee

#2 Alexx

Alexx

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Interests:Tec diving, Cave diving, UW photography and videography.

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:00 AM

Wow, really nice shot...

Canon 7D, Aquatica housing, 2 x Inon Z240, Canon 16-35 f2.8, Tokina 10-17, Canon 100mm macro, 2x Inon LE550W, 2xMangrove 4L6 lights

- Vimeo Channel -

#3 errbrr

errbrr

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:51 AM

Visualising definitely helps, and helps with explaining to the models what you're hoping for too. Your lighting control here is really nice. I would perhaps move the front diver down the shot just a tiny bit to balance it.

You're lucky to have got away with the rear diving pointing their primary at the camera, given the shutter speed that must have been required to capture the ambient light.

#4 newmanl

newmanl

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:27 PM

Hi Liz,

Thanks for your comments. I "got away with" the rear diver pointing their light at me by using a shutter speed of 1/60th. I was able to use that fast a shutter speed because I increased the ISO (I shot that image at ISO 800) enough to expose the cave opening.

Lee

#5 errbrr

errbrr

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:50 PM

Nice. Normally I don't mind where my buddies point their torches, but for entrance shots it can be a real problem. Are you using a glass dome?

#6 newmanl

newmanl

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:29 PM

Hi Liz,

No, I wasn't using a glass dome - I use Aquatica's 6" acrylic dome with a Tokina 10-17.

Lee