• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 kmsellin

kmsellin

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:12 PM

Anyone tested D800 and Nikon 14mm/2.8? How was it?

#2 JuhaP

JuhaP

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:54 PM

Hi, I used my Nikon 14mm / 2.8 today with Nikon D4 + Subal ND4 housing with EXR-20/4 extension tube and DP-FE4 dome. The conditions were not ideal (no ambient light) and some backscatter. With f3.2 it is soft from the corners, I did not try other f-stops to find how it would behave. This was my first dive with the lens in this setup and I will carry on experimenting in the future dives.

#3 wizudofoz

wizudofoz

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:07 AM

Hi Guys

I tried my D800 & 14mm lens on the weekend. Subal housing with 20mm extension ring.

Have to say a bit disappointed with the results on the first outing. Very soft at the corners at f7.1 - f8.

Seems to be some improvement at f22 but it's really not viable to shoot at that aperture all the time.

Taking it out for another splash this weekend & will try & run some test shots at varying apertures.

Cheers

Craig

#4 vbpress

vbpress

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:37 PM

Hi Guys

I tried my D800 & 14mm lens on the weekend. Subal housing with 20mm extension ring.

Have to say a bit disappointed with the results on the first outing. Very soft at the corners at f7.1 - f8.

Seems to be some improvement at f22 but it's really not viable to shoot at that aperture all the time.

Taking it out for another splash this weekend & will try & run some test shots at varying apertures.

Cheers

Craig

Craig please,

can you tell us which kind of dome have you fit on 20mm extension?

thank you 

Valerio

------------------------------------

http://fotobestiali.blogspot.it/

#5 wizudofoz

wizudofoz

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:35 PM

Hi VB
Using DP FE/3
Cheers
Craig

#6 wizudofoz

wizudofoz

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:47 PM

Hi all

Tested my 14mm yesterday & took some sample images at varying apertures. Still not particularly happy with the results. The edge & corners are very soft even at f8. Sample photos below.

I took some land shots as a comparision & found that the lens is quite soft at the edges at anything under about f8 but I would expect better results underwater than what I've got so far. Any hints/tips would be appreciated.

Using D800, Subal housing, FE/3 port & EXR20.

I'm waiting for an EXR for my 17-35mm f2.8 to arrive & it will be interesting to compare the two.

Cheers

Craig

Edithburgh 01 f5.6.jpg

Edithburgh 02 f22.jpg

Edithburgh 03 f5.6.jpg

Edithburgh 04 f16.jpg

Glenelg Barge 01 f4.JPG

Glenelg Barge 02 f8.JPG

Glenelg Barge 03 f16.JPG

#7 Alex_Tattersall

Alex_Tattersall

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:45 PM

Oh dear, not great. Longer extension? Or a diopter on the lens?

www.flickr.com/photos/alextattersall

www.nauticamuk.com
www.uwvisions.com
Exclusive official importer of Nauticam products into the UK and Ireland

#8 wizudofoz

wizudofoz

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:38 AM

Hi Alex

Diopter is out of the question. This lens won't take filters.

I did wonder about whether the extension ring is the correct length & the dealer is referring back to Subal in this regard.

I was half inclined to give it a go without the extension ring (if the lens would fit) but I discovered much to my dismay that my FE/3 port will not fit directly onto my ND800 housing. The type 3 mount on the housing fouls the port preventing it attaching. Apparently I now need a new back for the port, retaining the same glass.

Yet another nasty surprise from Subal!

Cheers

Craig

#9 cneal

cneal

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:41 AM

Hi Alex

Diopter is out of the question. This lens won't take filters.

I did wonder about whether the extension ring is the correct length & the dealer is referring back to Subal in this regard.

I was half inclined to give it a go without the extension ring (if the lens would fit) but I discovered much to my dismay that my FE/3 port will not fit directly onto my ND800 housing. The type 3 mount on the housing fouls the port preventing it attaching. Apparently I now need a new back for the port, retaining the same glass.

Yet another nasty surprise from Subal!

Cheers

Craig

A longer extension would be the direction I would try first.

#10 jonorunde

jonorunde

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:58 AM

Same experience with Nauticam with 8.5" dome -I added a 20mm extention, but still really soft in the corners.

The 16mm fisheye is sharp, so now I use that -but I really wanted to get the 14mm going -maybe I need to get the superdome and/or more extentions...

I cannot find any reccomendations on the nauticam-website either, for which combo to use

jono

#11 wizudofoz

wizudofoz

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:16 AM

Thanks cneal

I am waiting to see what Subal says but think maybe a 28mm might be the go. Unfortunately there's one distributor in Australia & pretty much every EXR needs to be specially ordered.

Although no direct comparison, I know, the Canon 14mm on a 5DII needs a 40mm EXR. Canon's website says that lens is 94mm long & 114 degree view. Nikon 14mm is 86.5mm long with same view.

jono I used to love my 10.5mm fisheye on my D300S - nice & sharp right across the frame. Can't buy a 16mm fisheye until I can fit the port to the housing though.

Cheers

Craig

#12 StephenFrink

StephenFrink

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:34 AM

Just to comment on the Canon 14 mentioned above. We use a 20mm port extension on SEACAM superdome. Port extension is very specific to diameter of dome.

As for the Nikkor 14mm with a dome port, it was bad in the film days and will fare no better on a D800.
Stephen Frink - www.stephenfrinkphoto.com
Publisher - Alert Diver Magazine
Distributor/North America - Seacamusa.com
Travel - Waterhousetours.com

#13 TimG

TimG

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts
  • Location:Paris or Helmand, Afghanistan (yes, agreed, not much difference)
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm water, fine wine, beautiful women. And Manchester City Football Club

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:26 AM

Hey guys

I'm mulling over now moving from my present Subal ND30/D300 to the Subal ND800/D800.

Although I do primarily macro, I do like the Tokina 10-17 for WA stuff underwater on the ND30/D300. Works a charm.

So moving to macro on the ND800/D800 is not a problem. But what about WA? Sounds like the Nikkor 14mm isn't great. Options then seem to be the Nikkor 16mm? Or how about a Nikkor 16-35? Bit of a monster? I don't really want to go to the bulk of the Nikkor 14-24......

Any thoughts?

Tim

Paris or Helmand, Afghanistan (that diving Mecca)

former Dive Manager KBR - Lembeh Straits

www. timsimages.co.uk

#14 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10595 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:53 AM

Tim, the sigma 15 fisheye is a better performer than the 16. Some people like to usethe10-17 with a 1.4 converter. For the 14-24 lovers, there is at least 1 new product in the works to combat the corner softness. Stay tuned past ADEX.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#15 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • Interests:Lots. I take things apart, modify things and make things.

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:10 AM

yup! stay tuned. 4K footage in the works. "what's corner blur?" LOL

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

Email: info@scubacam.com.sg

http://www.scubacam.com.sg/

#16 TimG

TimG

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts
  • Location:Paris or Helmand, Afghanistan (yes, agreed, not much difference)
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm water, fine wine, beautiful women. And Manchester City Football Club

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:10 AM

Many thanks! I spotted on another forum that folks have been using the Tokina 10-17 with the D800 set on the DX crop. I hadn't thought of that. Doh. And I've got a TC 1.4 too.... so some things to try out first.

..... thanks for the Sigma 15mm tip. I'll take a look at that.

But a DP-FE2 won't fit directly on a Type 3 mount on the ND800? Will it fit with a 20mm (or less) extension ring? How about a Type 4 mount and the adaptor to fit Type 3 ports?

... and then problems with focussing rings. Man, nothing is ever simple eh?!?! 

I thought one advantage of a switch to the ND800 would be using fibre optic links to Inon Z240s and then the ability to TTL (for macro). But I'm just waiting for someone to say "ahh, yes, it's not that simple......."

:aggressive:

Tim

Paris or Helmand, Afghanistan (that diving Mecca)

former Dive Manager KBR - Lembeh Straits

www. timsimages.co.uk