• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:21 AM

I was at the HUPS Christmas party last night and ran into long-time dive buddy and 2013 HUPS V.P. Terry Moore. He travels a LOT for work and has made a purpose built photo vest like nothing I have ever seen. Here is some info from Terry:

Just some info on the Jacket. It was made by a leatherman in Konduz Afghanistan. It cost me $150 for him to make. Its pockets were specifically designed to carry my camera, lenses, accesories, computer personal items etc etc. Since its a jacket, I have flown all over the place and never once have I been stopped and told I cant board the plane with it. Weight when full close to 50lbs. Countries flown in and out of USA, Australia, Papua New Guinea, Dubai, Afghanistan, FIJI, Guam, and many stops in between.

Terry is a pretty burly guy, and with the vest on - use your imagination. He says that he can actually walk down a plane aisle with it, but that he has to scoot sideways.

What do you guys think? I think it's pretty cool and definitely a way to "stick it to the man" when flying.

Cheers
James

Attached Images

• photo-vest.jpg

Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#2 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:52 AM

That may be something for me ...
I just flew from Rome to Muscat, back to Rome and then Rome San Jose Costa Rica with about 20 lbs inside my photographers vest and 40 lbs in a photographic backpack.
I always pray that they don't put my backpack on the scale and i learnd to show a "how nice to travel only with a light backpack" face while check-in even if my back is
screaming for help....
Anyway, a very cool vest!
Chris

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#3 davichin

davichin

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1104 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:28 AM

That hardly looks like a vest ;-p . I also use a vest to fit everything I can. I am always thinking on making myself one with two pockets big enough for subtronics, which are the main big burden as the rest of the things (not counting the housing) fit in regular vest pockets or in my multipocket travel pants (another place with a lot of concealed room).

Posted Image
D300, D7000. 10.5, 10-17, 16, 10-20, 17-70, 60, 105, 150 Hugyfots, Subtronic Novas, Seacams 350, YS250s, YS-D1s
Aqualung Team
www.davidbarrio.com

#4 jasonlandis

jasonlandis

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:27 PM

Does anyone know where one could get something like this in the states?

#5 Gary.Makai

Gary.Makai

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:33 AM

You may want to look at this: http://www.stealth-g...jacketvest.html

#6 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3014 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:35 AM

Or if you're going to a tropical environment, lots of us like the Scottevest.  It's really amazing what you can load into the thing.

Cheers,

Steve 

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#7 JimSwims

JimSwims

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:43 AM

I've been looking at the Domke Photogs Vest.

Cheers,

Jim.

My photostream on Flickr My gallery on Redbubble

D90 in Nexus; 60mm, Woody's Diopter, 105mm, SubSee +5 & +10 magnifiers, 10-17mm, Kenko 1.4 TC, 10-24mm, 18-55mm & Inon Z240 strobes.

#8 squidpro

squidpro

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:26 PM

Check out  The Vested Interest  in Denton, TX  www.vestedinterest.com  800-928-0157 

My husband and I both have his custom made vests.  You can add or leave off pouches or padding to your specifications.  Made out of very strong parachute material that is very lightweight.  He makes parachutes too.  We've been very happy with ours. 

Judy Johnson

#9 Poliwog

Poliwog

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Travel, 6 metre Bombard Explorer RIB, Triumph Spitfire 1500, Amateur Radio(VE3WRP)

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:18 PM

+1 for the Stealth Gear jacket. I just got back from a trip to Newfoundland. Used it while shooting the Gannet Colony at Cape St. Mary's Ecological Reserve. Very weatherproof, stayed warm and dry while shooting in light rain and strong winds. It has huge pockets and even comes with a misquito net for your head. The arms are removable so the coat can be worn as a vest.  Was able to carry a Nikon D7000 with 18 to 55mm lens attached and a  28 mm pc shift lens in one lower pocket, while the other lower pocket contained a 70-200mm f2.8 zoom lens along side a 300mm f4 lens with room to spare in both pockets. Lots of other pockets for things like gloves, compass, gps, glasses, small tablet etc. as well as dedicated pockets for cell phone and memory cards.

Paul Walker.
Nikon D2x, D7000, Aquatica D2x, AD7000, SunStrobe 200 x2, Inon Z240 x2, TLC Arms