Photo
- - - - -

Dear Manufacturers, please heed our pleas (Wishlist 2.0)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10647 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:41 AM

With camera form factors changing (interchangeable lenses in modular designs) and the growth of high quality HDMI/3GSDI recorders etc, I thought I'd update the Manufacturer wish list thread.
The old thread can be read here.

With 4 new DSLR cameras capable of outputting clean HDMI signals, I think it's time that DSLR manufacturers take a look at housing HDMI recorders like the Nano flash, Atomos Ninja etc.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#2 Highlander

Highlander

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:44 AM

Hi Drew

I've just said this on another post a few minutes ago as I saw the Ninja which records clean HDMI output at a trade show some months back. DSLR filmmaking is really a common thing topside and has been for years with the Canon 5D mk2. All small indie filmmakers I know use DSLR for shooting footage and hire in larger cameras if need be; the DSLR offers affordable options depending on the final outcome requirements (such as where it will be presented), so is an entirely relevant thing to do underwater also which requires just a few forward-thinking adjustments to DSLR housings.

So specifically for underwater housings and to add to this list (and I'm sure it has been discussed here many times but I'm new so forgive me) is the utmost need for housings to have both a manual focus and an external monitor (which the Ninja could double as) for U/W DSLR filmmaking!!! I bought a Hugyfot housing for my Canon 5D mk 2 in April, both a monitor housing and a manual focus were promised at the time of purchase as I had stated them as required and necessary elements to what I do...I am still waiting on the manual focus and do not wish to go into the money-pit debacle that was the monitor housing. So please Hugyfot, listen to your customers and stop dragging your heels and playing catch up to Aquatica, and at least give us a manual focus!

Edited by Highlander, 03 December 2012 - 04:54 AM.