#1 Ferg42

Ferg42

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:43 AM

Hi Folks,

Just finished shooting a job in Oman, so thought it was time to update the Demo Reel with some new material. If anyone's got the time (it's only 3 minutes!), I'm looking for comments and suggestions on the edit. Is the music OK? Any shots need to be taken out?
As ever the quality suffered a bit with the web compression, and I also feel like it might have crushed the blacks a bit when I rendered, but I'm having difficulty with editing on a laptop and external monitor which don't seem to want to talk to the screen calibration software nicely, so each screen looks different.
Anyway, feedback appreciated.

Here it is:

[vimeohd]55339611[/vimeohd]

Edit: Just replacing it with a newer version which takes into account Drew's comments below, so there may be a period when the HD version isn't up (also just noticed the dolphins still need a bit more trimming at the start of the clip!)
EOS 7D, Nauticam housing, EOS 5D II, Ikelite, Inon z240, Inon D180, Tok 10-17, 15 FE, 17-40, 105 Macro
Sony HC7, Gates Housing
Visit My Website

#2 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10635 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:22 AM

Fergus
You've got some nice shots there. Just a few points:

1. I'd leave out (or at the least redo) the dolphin clip. There's post Image Stabilization distortion and it's pretty pronounced.
2. Several scenes that I think should be color graded/corrected to match the rest of your sequences in your reel:
-Nap wrasse. Magenta/purple hue in water due to curve and artificial light on wrasse.
-Thistlegorm scene @1.41 (fish need to be more highlighted)
-Whaleshark @ 2.17 (color match the water to the blue hues or at least less green.
-Reef scene @2.38 and 2.52 and 2.57 Fish/trucks need to be balanced (overly red due to light)
3. I think if you put the dusk timelapse and then followed with some artificial light clips, then follow with the moon setting, it'd flow better than have 2 timelapse sequences back to back then cut to the whaleshark end scene.
Just my thoughts.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#3 Ferg42

Ferg42

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:51 AM

That's great Drew- just the sort of thing I needed. I'll work on those points. Well spotted on the dolphins- it was at dolphin house reef in Egypt where they only let you snorkel with a life jacket on- a recipe for wobbly footage!
EOS 7D, Nauticam housing, EOS 5D II, Ikelite, Inon z240, Inon D180, Tok 10-17, 15 FE, 17-40, 105 Macro
Sony HC7, Gates Housing
Visit My Website

#4 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10635 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:01 AM

What IS program did you use? It didn't do well at all.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#5 Ferg42

Ferg42

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:20 AM

It was the Sony stabilize plugin that comes with Vegas. On looking again the main wobble was right at the beginning of the clip, so I've taken off the IS and just trimmed it.

Sony HC7, Gates Housing
Visit My Website

#6 AllisonFinch

AllisonFinch

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • Interests:Caves, photos and long distance travel to dive.

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:30 AM

All critique aside, lovely footage. Well done. What camera/housing were you using? The Sony HC7?

Edited by AllisonFinch, 11 December 2012 - 10:31 AM.

#7 Ferg42

Ferg42

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:33 AM

Thanks. It's a whole mixture- there a bit of Sony HC7 (Gates) in there, Canon 7D (Nauticam), Canon 5D II (Ikelite), Sony CX550 (BS Kinetics), Sony TD10 (Sealux) and Sony EX1 (Gates)!
Sony HC7, Gates Housing
Visit My Website

#8 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10635 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:37 AM

Is there a prize for guessing which camera shot which clip? :)

Drew

#9 Ferg42

Ferg42

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:43 PM

A pint of finest Harvey's ale, and I fear you'd get it, Drew :-)
Sony HC7, Gates Housing
Visit My Website

#10 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6182 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:18 PM

very nice Ferg! Is that a whale shark at the end? That footage was a bit dark.. sort of a "did I see that or was that a cross fade?" sort of reaction for me.
Also, I agree with Drew about the red napolean.

Other than that its an outstanding demo reel, music goes well

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#11 Ferg42

Ferg42

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:37 PM

Cheers Mike. Yes, that is a whale shark, but it was very dark! I think it depends a bit on how your monitor is calibrated. I can see it fine on mine, but I suspect mine may not be perfect.
I've already made Drew's corrections, so I'll swap it for the new file shortly......
Sony HC7, Gates Housing
Visit My Website

#12 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2841 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:45 PM

Very nice and I agree with most everything that has been said. You probably won't like this addition, but I have heard this same music on way too many films. Best to use or change to a different version perhaps. Of course, having to change the music means a whole re cut of your demo which means a ton more work.
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#13 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10635 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:07 PM

Fergus, I personally think you should throw out the dolphins. For a fun video, it's fine. For a demo reel, it's amateurish.
There are 2 things that are most important to being a wildlife cameraman, composition and camera skills. You want to highlight your skills as a cameraman/DP, with more longer master shots that'll show your skills rather than snippets, if you get what I mean. Under/over exposed, shakey shots aren't complimentary to your skills. Keep the shots that make you look good, like the manta and oceanics.

Drew

#14 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1976 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:19 AM

Nice work Fergus.

3 suggestions from me:

00:50 turtle is too red.
01:47 fade the diver in a bit more slowly if you can
02:41 too red

#15 Ferg42

Ferg42

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:14 PM

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the input. Have addressed your points, I'll reupload soon. Getting there, gradually!
Sony HC7, Gates Housing
Visit My Website

#16 andy_deitsch

andy_deitsch

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:21 AM

Very nice Fergus. Was the shot of the bow of the Thistlegorm taken on the dive that you, me and Mike did during Alex's workshop in 2011? Even if not, it brought back good memories.

Canon 7D, Nauticam NA-7D, 2x Inon z240, Tokina 10-17, Canon 60mm
Flickr: http://www.flickr.co...tos/andydeitsch

#17 Ferg42

Ferg42

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:09 AM

Hi Andy,

Yes it is! Good times! The 3D from that trip worked out pretty nicely by the way. Shame not many people have the hardware to view it online.
Sony HC7, Gates Housing
Visit My Website

#18 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10635 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:57 AM

Fergus, Youtube can host it and then it's a matter of what glasses (if any) are needed. You can and are most definitely encouraged to post 3D stuff in the 3D forum. :)

Drew

#19 Etc

Etc

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:38 AM

Great footage and editing!!!!. God duration. Good music, great timing. All critique asides, I really envy you
I think Drew's got the point, but I'd add (under my personal opinion, of course):

- Color correction on the wreck's bow (1:24). More contrast, get rid of excess of cyan
- Take the Trigger fish shot out (1:26). The rest of the video doesn't deserve this.
- 1:37.. out too! (don't like the composition)
- Put the two shots of the Thiselgorm trucks together.
- Color correct & stabilize the Whale shark (2:17)
- 2.39 shot out!.. It doesn't say much.
- Shorten or "roll edit" a bit the lion fish shot. Don't let the shadow get into it's face (3:01)
- Change the ending shot for a better one!. Or just leave the sunset last timelapse for the end.

I hope I didn't look rude and I could express well. I'm Spaniard and my english is far to be perfect.

#20 Rafa Herrero

Rafa Herrero

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:21 AM

Fantastic demo reel, congratulations!!