Air Niugini Travel

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Aquapaul

Aquapaul

Sting Ray

• Team Wetpixel
  • 222 posts
  • Interests:Photography above and below the waves.

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:28 AM

Hi all,
I am looking for some experienced travel advice for flying with Air Niugini from Sydney to Port Moresby. What I would like to know is how their carry on policy works. I am sure I will be over weight dragging my camera gear on board but would like to know what they do about it. It's not very clear on their website and I can't get an answer out of them sending an email. What I am hoping for is to be able to carry it all on with a fee/penalty charge. Can anyone confirm if that is what happens or will they make me check it?

Thanks in advance,
Paul Chase

----}<))))"> ----------}<))))'>
-----------}<)))))))))*>

#2 errbrr

errbrr

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:39 PM

I flew (or tried to fly) Air Niugini for a trip Melbourne-Brisbane-Port Moresby-Kavieng and return Easter this year. Plane cancellations and delays by them meant I took an earlier Qantas flight to Cairns outward bound to take a Qantas-operated plane Cairns to POM instead, and on arrival discovered my early morning domestic flight to Kavieng (whole point of flying to Cairns) had been cancelled anyway - it went the next morning and I spent the night in Port Moresby.

On the homeward journey the Kavieng-POM domestic flight made an unscheduled and unexpected stop at some random airport to pick up passengers they abandoned the day before, and as a result I missed my flight out of Port Moresby to Australia and spent another 8 hours in POM airport watching locals put their guns through the scanner and pick them up on the other side. Qantas rejigged my Brisbane to Melbourne flight to get me home that night.

In summary, I recommend you have some extra days in your schedule. Through all of this I carried a backpack (camera, lenses, housing) and a briefcase pelican case (strobes, batteries, cables, chargers), weighing about 12kg each. I think the most dangerous part of this journey for hand luggage was Brisbane Airport who are known to be tough on hand luggage, but in PNG they don't care much. Noone asked to weigh either bag although my arms were a lot longer after carrying them around airports for three days outward bound and an 18 hour homeward bound trip.

On a travel agent's recommendation I also joined Club Niugini, or whatever it's called, which is free. Their website advertises that this gets you 30kg of checked luggage instead of 20kg. I gather they're trying to get people onto their frequent flyer program rather than just using Qantas's. Again, noone asked me about it or questioned my approximately 24kg checked bag.

Good luck!

#3 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10595 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:54 PM

SYD is almost as bad as BNE. CNS is probably the most lax of AU airports.
Technically you are allowed only 5kg cabin luggage for PX. PX also recognizes the PC system for tix originating from the US. Just make sure you purchase your tix in the US and show them your US tix. I think it's still 23kg x 2 for eco and 32kg x 2 for biz.
PX also gives 15 kg of scuba gear as extra. So as a Destinations member, you get an extra 7kg plus 15 kg of scuba, so you get 45kg in economy are 55kg in biz class.
Have fun!

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#4 Aquapaul

Aquapaul

Sting Ray

• Team Wetpixel
  • 222 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:05 PM

I have been told so far that I get 2- 44 pound bags, one has to be all scuba equipment and a 7 kilo/ 15 pound carry on which I can't make weight on. I will look into the Destinations member option. I still feel I don't know what's going to happen with my over weighted carry on.
Paul Chase

-----------}<)))))))))*>

#5 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10595 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:33 PM

Paul, who is giving you that info? This is from their website when I checked in Oct.

http://www.airniugin.../aviation-faqs/

http://www.airniugin...ge-information/

I can't help you with SYD for PX but since you are getting 2 PC, then you get 2 x 23kg or 50lbs. Unless they are selling you a tix purchased from the AU system, which is cheaper but will use the weight system. For OZ, I always carry a photo vest to take stuff in case they get all draconian on me.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#6 Aquapaul

Aquapaul

Sting Ray

• Team Wetpixel
  • 222 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:23 AM

Boy, this is getting more confusing the further I dig into it.

Craig from the Golden Dawn has 2- 20kg bags on his website if one bag is declared scuba gear. I think it has to do with international travel from the states. He said if I were coming from Europe it would be less.
Looking at my e-ticket it says 1-20kg bag and 1-7 kg hand bag. That doesn't sound too good. I am going to have to do some calling Monday.

I signed up as a Destinations member, every kittle bit helps..
Paul Chase

-----------}<)))))))))*>

#7 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10595 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:02 AM

I think your agent bought the tix from OZ which is why you have that. Call Kerry @ PNG tourism in LA. Don't have the number with me.

Drew

#8 Aquapaul

Aquapaul

Sting Ray

• Team Wetpixel
  • 222 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:09 AM

I'll look it up and call Monday. Thanks..
Paul Chase

-----------}<)))))))))*>