3 replies to this topic

#1 MortenHansen

MortenHansen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:08 PM

Hi everyone!

I am looking at getting myself a video/focus light.

Was looking at the Sola1200 video at first, but then I saw the photo version with the red light and thought that would be nice.

Now, my question is: What is the difference between video/photo except for the fact that the photo has a red light built in?

Thanks a bunch, Morten

#2 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1547 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:23 PM

I think the video lights have both broad and more focused beams (flood vs. spot) instead of the red, at least the older 1200 were that way.
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#3 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3055 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:13 PM

Bill's right, the Photo version is a 60 degree beam with roughly 1200 lumens white and 300 red also @ 60. The dive light and video light have a 60 degree flood and a 12 degree spot. All three have three power levels. 1200, 600, and 300.

Have fun,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#4 Ken Kurtis

Ken Kurtis

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:45 PM

Now, my question is: What is the difference between video/photo except for the fact that the photo has a red light built in?

I dive with dual Sola video 1200s and my GoPro and LOVE them.

I dove a month or so ago with a buddy who had a single 1200 dive version. What I noticed underwater looking at the two beams side-by-side, is that the dive version has a slightly yellow cast to it. I thought my video version was a whiter, more daylight type of beam. Personally, I prefer the look (color temp) of the video version.

- Ken

Ken Kurtis
(Nikon D200 in an Ikelite housing w/dual YS-D1s & a GoPro Hero2 in a Backscatter housing w/dual Sola 1200s)
NAUI Instr. #5936 • Owner, Reef Seekers Dive Co. • Beverly Hills, CA
www.reefseekers.com