Photo
- - - - -

S&S MDX D800 + S&S Optical Dome + Sigma 15mm, you can actually get it to work!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kmsellin

kmsellin

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:33 PM

Hi Guys,

I don´t know if you have notice that the S&S D800 housing and S&S Optical port does not fit directly on each other... Even that it says so in S&S system chart. That is wrong.
The port is not possible to mount on the S&S D800 housing. Its to tight so when you turn the port towards the right position the sunshade hits the house.
According to me the solution is NOT to take the shade away. Is better to remake the sun shade. Its simple and it works perfect!

1. Use a screw driver to take the shade of
2. Use a machine the can remove plastic, spining machine... (sorry I don´t know the english name..)
3. Dont´t take to much of, and its only back of the shade that has to be remade.
4. Takes about 30 minuts, and after you can hardly see that the shade has been change.

Just a tip from me!

If you want I can post some pictures!

And the results..... I have just made some pool shots, and not looked at the pictures in the computer yet. But it looks really good! No vignetting, after f/7.1 the corners starts to get really sharp. Nice!

/Mattias

P.S I hope S&S make an alternativ shade that people can buy if they want!

#2 JackConnick

JackConnick

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1236 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, diving, women, cats

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:48 PM

I think the better configuration calls for an SX 20mm extension ring?

The optical doem port has been discontinued.

Jack

Jack Connick
Optical Ocean Sales.com Sea & Sea, Olympus, Ikelite, Athena, Zen, Fix, Nauticam, Aquatica, Seacam, Gates, 10Bar, Light & Motion, iTorch/I-DAS & Fantasea Line - Cameras, Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & Accessories
Blog & Gallery: Optical Ocean Sales Blog
Flickr Gallerys: Optical Ocean on Flickr

#3 kmsellin

kmsellin

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 05:13 AM

Hi,

This response is direct from S&S

The following dome ports are compatible with the lens: 1) FIsheye Dome Port 240 (#30116), NX Compact Dome Port (#56601), and Optical Dome Port (#30104).

The best dome port for the lens is
1) FIsheye Dome Port 240 (#30116).

#31114 Zoom Gear for Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8 USM lens can be used for Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX-DG Diagonal FIsheye for Nikon (as focus gear).

Please note that there is no (focus) gear available for SIgma 15mm F2.8 EX-DG Diagonal Fisheye for Canon. As the AF/MF switch protrudes from the lens barrel, no gear can be mounted on the lens.

/

I use it with Optical dome port that I have remaid. The result is more than PERFECT! No soft corners above f7,1

#4 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 05:45 AM

Jack,
i am almost 100% sure that the 15mm with a 20mm extention ring will vignette,
as it did with my Hugyfot D800 housing, 20mm S&S-> Hugyfot adapter and the 174mm Athena Vario dome.
It may work with a 10mm extention ring as my - non very scientific - measurements shown a minimum of 15 mm with my dome.
I am using the Hugyfot mini glass dome with very good results and i think that a minidome is the way to go with the Sigma 15mm.
Chris

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website