• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wydeangle

wydeangle

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:54 AM

I'm trying out some manual settings for my XA10. Finally I've earned enough to be dangerous, but not enough to be good...

In Manual mode, I'm trying to set shutter priority mode (Tv) and 60i frame rate, and want to know whether it is possible to get a shutter speed of 1/120.

If I go to the menu, it seems to offer 1/60 (OK for 30p) but then jumps to 1/250, which seems too high for general underwater video use. If there's a way to get 1/120, I'd be grateful if anyone could show me how to do that.

Or am I "stuck" with 30p and 1/60?

Help!

Tom

#2 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10596 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:36 AM

Hey Tom,
unless you are shooting for slomo, there's no real reason to go faster. Unless you have 60p, 1/120 can give a strobic look. But it's very nice for slomo.
If you are looking to control exposure with shutter speed because you want to avoid lens softness at smaller apertures, then it gets more complicated :)

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#3 wydeangle

wydeangle

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:46 PM

Drew,

So you're saying that locking Tv (shutter priority) at 30p and 1/60 is OK for starters?

Tom

#4 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:32 PM

If you google the 180 degrees shutter speed rule you can read that for 30p or 60i 1/60 is fine
you should only jump to 1/125 if you shoot 60p or plan to use it for slow motion
The strobic look that drew is mentioning is due to the fact that you can't choose 1/120 (not a standard value on the ev scale) so it might look a bit scatty

#5 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10596 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:55 AM

Sorry Tom, I thought the XA10 was like the bigger sibling the XF100/5. But I think I remember there was a limitation for the XA10 in shutter speed steps where it only goes to 60, 100, 250.

Anyhow, faster shutter speed is to freeze the action for fast moving subjects so there's no blurred motion. I suggest you shoot some stuff topside at various shutter speeds to see what I'm talking about.

I think that most auto programs are fine for most shooting scenes. With small sized sensors, obvious diffraction starts at f5.6, or even f4.0 sometimes. That can render the picture soft. With most reef scenes, I'd prefer slight strobing to a soft pic. I'd make some tests to see what you can live with as a shooter.

I would choose to go -1-2 steps lower on the exposure compensation so that the highlights aren't blow. Really depends on the camera and the image curve applied. You'll find cine gammas can give a nicer look but limit dynamic range.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#6 wydeangle

wydeangle

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:50 PM

SNIP

I remember there was a limitation for the XA10 in shutter speed steps where it only goes to 60, 100, 250.

>Absolutely! That's what caused the question.

Anyhow, faster shutter speed is to freeze the action for fast moving subjects so there's no blurred motion. I suggest you shoot some stuff topside at various shutter speeds to see what I'm talking about.

>Can do.

SNIP

go -1-2 steps lower on the exposure compensation

>I'll try it

SNIP

Thanks, Drew. BTW, K got the E-M5/Nauticam.

#7 wydeangle

wydeangle

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:59 PM

BTW, right now I'm reading "PROFESSIONAL RESULTS WITH Canon Vixia Camcorders", Warren Bass. Highly recommended!

One disturbing item he caused me to observe is this: the red flip filter in the XA10 housing partly blocks the camera's external focus sensor.

The XA10 has two focus mechanisms: TTL plus an external focus sensor located just below the lens on the front of the camera. This second sensor is blocked, at least 1/2 way if not more, by the red flip filter.

This might be significant if the book is correct because there are three focus speeds. The two faster focusing speeds require this second, external sensor to function in concert with TTL. Page 25 of the above book describes the use of these two sensors together for fastest focus response.

I guess the takeaway from this is to remove the flip filter...

I'll ask L&M about this.

Tom

Edited by wydeangle, 19 December 2012 - 06:09 PM.