• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Phoenix1

Phoenix1

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:53 PM

I just came back from a dive trip to Cozumel and tried my new D800's video capabilities.

I'm happy to report that, with color correction in FCP, the D800 does a great job without a red filter or lights.

I didn't have much chance to experiment with this--too many other new things to try--but here's a quick preview.

This is an uncorrected frame shooting without lights, auto white balance and programed exposure and shutter speed in about 40 feet of water (sunny day topside):

Before correction.png

I did a quick and dirty color correction using the three way color correction tool in FCP. Not surprisingly, the corrections added red:

3-way color correction.png

The final looks great to me:

After correction.png

I also tested use of the Magic Filter for a few dives. I did not get better resuls, and worse, I had to do a lot of color correction on my stills to make them usable.

Rich

Current rig: Nikon D800 in an Aquatica housing; Nikon 17-35 wide; Nikon 105 macro; 2 YS-110a on ULCS arms

#2 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10595 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:35 PM

Hi Rich
Thanks for the the tip. Have you tried doing a manual white balance or using a flatter picture profile with the D800? The D800 has awesome DR from 100-400ISO but even the neutral profile adds a curve that gives a bit too much saturation and kills the shadows, making post a bit more difficult. That's why you adjusted the highs down and punched up the mids and lows.
Since you are using FCP 7(?), you can also change the cyan hue of the highlights back to white.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#3 Phoenix1

Phoenix1

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:46 AM

Drew:

No, I didn't get to play much. I was only there a week, and this was the first time in the water with the new rig. So I was doing lots of experimenting. I'll put fooling with manual WB on the list for the next trip in the spring.

I am using FCP 7, and am still knocking down the (steep) learning curve. Where can I make that cyan hue adjustment?
Rich

Current rig: Nikon D800 in an Aquatica housing; Nikon 17-35 wide; Nikon 105 macro; 2 YS-110a on ULCS arms

#4 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2837 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:25 PM

It appears to be more in the mids so use the middle wheel for that. Also, and very important, keep your waveform monitor and vectorscope open and have them help guide you. Are you using an external monitor for this or your computer monitor?
Steve
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#5 Phoenix1

Phoenix1

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:04 PM

Exciting! Something else I didn't know about. Thank heavens for the coming holidays. I hope to take my learning from graduation from Tom's Boot Camp to the next level. The video scopes tab might be a fun place to start.

I don't use a second monitor. I have a recent model 27" iMac, which gives me a fair bit or real estate. I've considered a second monitor from time to time, but I'm not a film or photo professional. Also, the best choice for me probably--a 27' thunderbolt display--is due for refreshment soon, according to MacRumors. So if I do jump, it won't likely be until next year.
Rich