Travel bag- which size?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Fasando

Fasando

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Photography, music, good food:)

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:53 AM

Hey, im going to get a travel bag for my photo equipment(which atm include an ikelite ds 125 strobe, ULCS arms and clamps, ikelite housing, ikelite 6" dome, and soon going to add another strobe, 60mm and a flat port),, I dont know which bag size i would need, could i squeeze them all inside the pelican 1510 with padded dividers? would it be too cramped up? or should i get the bigger pelican 1560 with padded dividers for more room? Any input? would be glad to see pictures of how people pack their equipment

#2 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:40 AM

I used a Pelicase 1600 for a similar rig, if you use bubble wrap instead of the foam you can get more small stuff inside BUT,
if not packed tight things may move around and can get damaged. The foam or divider helps greatly to keep those expensive things in place.
Chris

IkeliteD90-Rig.jpg

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#3 focker

focker

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:23 AM

I used to be a fan of the Pelican cases but now I really like the Think Tank Airport and the LowePro Pro Roller. I have one of each because we bought a LowePro for my wife's equipment and the Think Tank for mine. Both will pack everything you need, fit more because of padded dividers instead of foam, are light weight and the roll.
Nauticam 550 w/ T2i - Zen 100 - Inon Z240 - Tokina 10-17 - Canon 60mm - Sola 600

#4 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2107 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:16 AM

There are places in the world where a high-end protective bag just screams out "Expensive stuff in here! Come and see!!"...

#5 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:19 PM

Well,
the question was if OP posters gear fit in a Pelicase.
I never ship my Pelicase as it is,
it is always in a old, torn 08/15 suitcase (actually you can see the handle of it)to avoid attracting curiosity.
The cameras, lenses, chargers, disks, laptop gos in a LoewePro Photo backpack and the have to fight with me to get it.
Chris

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#6 Fasando

Fasando

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Photography, music, good food:)

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:46 AM

Indeed, when i travel ill do that, but still which size should i get? i got Lowepro photo backpack, which i can fit my camera gear and lenses and etc, so would i need the bigger 1560 with padded dividers for my gear or is the 1510 sufficient?