• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:11 AM

Has anyone developed any ad hoc DIY solution to apply a red filter to the sola?
I am aware there is a photo version with red light but I have two video and not planning to change for now
Any suggestions appreciated
My initial thought is an ikelite push on but he color is orange not red

#2 rumblefish

rumblefish

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Interests:Underwater photography and wreckdiving. Contributing editor to dive magazines in The Netherlands and Belgium.

Posted 25 December 2012 - 06:24 AM

I don't have a Sola but just as an idea:
I made a simple red filter from the lid of a ketchup bottle that happened to fit tight on my Dive Rite light. I drilled out the centers of the lid and glued red transparent acetate film (available in hobby stores) to the top part.
Best regards,
--Rob

lamp1.jpg
lamp2.jpg

Edited by rumblefish, 25 December 2012 - 06:25 AM.

Nikon D600, Nikon D80, Tokina 10-17mm FE, Sigma 14mm, 24mm macro, Nikon 60mm macro, Sigma 180mm macro. Nauticam NA-D600, 45° viewfinder, Subal ND80, GS180 viewfinder. Sea&Sea YS350 and YS90. ULCS arms.

#3 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1531 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:24 PM

You can buy red filters from Dyron in a variety of sizes and you can use velcro to put them on the light. Or you can buy some wratten gels and do the same thing. If you get the 67 mm screw on filter you can use a step up or down adapter epoxied to the front of the light.
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net