Photo
- - - - -

How often do I need to get my housing serviced?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ScubaFinland

ScubaFinland

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:45 AM

How often do I need to get my housing (Hugyfot) serviced? I've changed regularly the main o-ring but I'm concerned of those little o-rings the control buttons have.
I had the housing serviced 4 years and about 400 dives ago. Should I sent it to the factory?

#2 AndyBarker

AndyBarker

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Interests:Diving , Photography , Fishing ,

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:50 AM

Hi
I would say follow the housing manufacturers guidelines, this would give you peace of mind that every thing is as it should be.
regards,
Andy

Andy Barker
D800, Seacam,S45, Nikon 60mm micro, Nikon VR 105mm micro, Nikon 16x35mm, Nikon 16mm, fe, Seaflash 150ttl & Seacam flash arms

#3 PIG004

PIG004

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography.

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:09 PM

used my Aquatica housing for about 1000 dives before I got it fully serviced and the o rings where still is good shape. Although during that period I did service 4 buttons myself as they got stuck.

#4 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:03 AM

It varies a lot between brands. I own two brands of housing. One I've never had to have serviced and one has needed TLC much more regularly. If you live near you dealer, pop and see the (or at the next show you attend) and try a new housing. If it feels different from yours it is worth a service.

I've just had some old Nikon bodies serviced and while it is not cheap, it left me thinking why don't I do this more regularly. They really feel like new again.

In the old Hugyfot days (when they were German) they would even repaint your housing at the service - so it really came back looking brand new.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#5 jander4454

jander4454

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:43 AM

I have a Nauticam NEX-5 housing and had it serviced after 300 dives. After it came back from China it was nearly as good as new; it felt much better and the controls were sweeter to operate, and they had replaced the scratched back window - a bonus. I think it is as much about how clean (well rinsed) you can keep it after and between dives.

Jim A

Sony a6000 in Nauticam with Inon D-2000 flashes
www.nudibranch.org/

#6 errbrr

errbrr

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:07 PM

I replaced the push button o-rings on my Aquatica myself earlier this year, and the o-rings that came out were a lot flatter than the o-rings that went in. It didn't feel any different to dive with but I felt happier for having done it.