4 replies to this topic

#1 Nicool

Nicool

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:50 AM

Hello Wetpixel!

I thought I would post a dedicated thread for this discussion, rather than getting it lost in existing OM-D threads.
In those threads I've read that image quality was good when using wet dioptres (Subsee) on top of the Olympus 12-50mm lens underwater (as the nauticam 60mm port has a 67mm thread).
This brings a lot of versatility on this 12-50mm setup, and I was wondering why wouldn't size-conscious photographers use wide angle wet lenses on top of this setup?
I must say I've never used any wet lens, so I may miss something, that's why I'm asking.
I think it was Dr Mustard who said optical quality remained good with a wet complement like Subsee diopters, what about the wide angle complements?

thanks for your advice,
cheers
Nicolas

#2 linder

linder

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:10 AM

I am thinking the exact same thing. Wonder what WA lens works best..  

#3 nudibranco

nudibranco

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:clear waters for WA and small critters ! Beach diving

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:41 PM

The 12-50mm will surely vignette at 12mm with a 77mm to 67mm converter and subsequent wide angle lens.  There might be a WA combination that allows somewhat a wider angle by zooming in maybe to 14mm or so...

#4 droplet

droplet

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:12 AM

AFAIK Subsee is only for macro. Maybe I miss something but all messages I have read in the OM-D thread about wet lenses concern rather macro issues :unsure: .

#5 linder

linder

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:07 AM

Mario V posted some interesting pics taken with the OM-D, 12-50mm in the Nauticam 65 flat port and an Inon UWL-100 wet wide angle lens. Seems like the lens works fine at 14mm.

Images can be found here: http://www.scubaboar...tml#post6728880

What do you guys think, add it to the rig and get more versatility on the WA side?

Edited by linder, 28 April 2013 - 06:10 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: OM-D, EM-5, wet lens, 12-50