1 reply to this topic

#1 Steen Nissen

Steen Nissen

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:05 AM

Hi all,
I am thinking of buying me a minidome to use with a Tokina 10-17, both with and without a TC. I shoot a D90 in a Hugyfot housing. I have been looking at the Zen minidome, as it seems to be the most popular one, but now i see that Hugyfot has their own version of a minidome.
The Hugyfot is slightly larger than the Zen, 125 vs 100 mm. Is that an issue ?
Anybody knows if there is any difference between the two, regards to image quality ?
Will I be able to use any of the two to ordinary fisheye photography, or are they strictly for CFWA ?
Wich one would you buy ?

Thank you, and a happy New Year to all of you

Steen

#2 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:19 AM

Steen,
i was asking Zen about the minidome and got the following answere:
Hello Chris,

We do build domes in the Hugyfot mount, but I have not been able to test this on a D800 housing to confirm that there isn't any mechanical interference with a control. Supporting Hugyfot has been a pretty big headache, with varied tolerance in housing mounts and control placements / throw.
None of the mini-domes are compatible with Sigma 15mm unless you cut the shade off, leaving Zen DP-230-H for Hugyfot ($1899) as the best product.
Please contact Ryan @ glass@zenunderwater.com for a correct and extensive answer regarding ZEN domes.

I am using the Hugyfot Minidome on my D800 and the Sigma 15mm and i am very happy with it.
I personally don't see a rason why the slightly bigger Hugyfot dome should be a issue, except of packing space limitations
You will be able to do all kind of wide angle photography, from cfwa to ffwa, the only thing to check very well is that the
combination of camera, housing, lens and the dome you choose will work without the hated soft corner problem.

Chris

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website