• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lehua808

lehua808

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:13 AM

Hello all, i have a couple 220lm compact Intova flashlights that i would like to use as video lights for gopro videos. It would be an ideal compact setup for me. Is there anyone who can help me figure out a diy diffuser setup for the flashlights? the beams are way too tight and concentrated to use for video and it tends to blowout the subjects easily. I'd like to make something to spread the light a little wider and softer. Maybe something like a piece of flourescent lighting diffuser panel, would that work? Any tips I can use to accomplish this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

here's the lights that i have
http://www.intova.ne...intova-torches/

#2 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:15 AM

When you make the beam wider to get rid of the hot spot then you will have no light anymore.
For daylight use even 4000 lumen @ 120° are not enough to illuminate for more than 50 centimeters/2 feet.
Your lamp will be barely enough for night dives but as the GoPro has a almost 180° FoV it will still leave a "hotspot" because f the extreme angle
Anyway, you can stick a white adhesive on the lens, put a white translucent plastic bag over the lens,
search for piece of white lexan or plexiglass and find a way to fix it on your lamp and it will make the hotspot softer.
Chris

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#3 lehua808

lehua808

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

thanks Chris, I'll try the lexan, i have a bunch of 1/8" sheets laying around. Maybe i'll try wetsanding it w/ 1200grit to make it translucent. I only need the light to illuminate under tight ledges and small caves/holes mostly to video inside lobster houses. The rest, natural light is fine. I'm a freediver and thus the ultra-compact gopro setup. I'm just trying to figure out the smallest lighting rig i can to minimize drag on the trip up/down.thanks again!

#4 bvanant

bvanant

Orca

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1456 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

Old milk jugs (the plasic ones) work fine, just Velcro them on but they will not be very bright at the end of the day as Chris points out.
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net